Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Its a Vette, but figured I'd share... T74GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:03 PM

Its a Vette, but figured I'd share... T74GTS

Hey guys,

I post here frequently and read even more, I own a vette, but it is forced induction GM all the same.. 1996 LT4 Collectors edition was what it started out as, but has become a single turbo collectors edition low compression 355 LT4.. here are a couple pics, I am farther along then this now, both headers and crossover are completed, but I have not had the time to get my digital camera back from a friend.. hopefully this weekend I can get him to bring it over and I will post further progress for those interested!

thanks for looking!

Chris

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3
Old 04-13-2005, 11:27 PM

Re: Its a Vette, but figured I'd share... T74GTS

looks like its gonna be sick...........and a great looking car too.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:30 PM

that your home or a shop, I noticed the inventory hanging on the walls
Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 PM

home.. I like to keep a tight ship..lol it oughta be a shop as many tools as I have aquired over the last 8 years.. lol

thanks man.. I hope it turns out sick.. have a built motor for it and certainly have not skimped anywhere.. the ole pocket has felt the burn over the last 2 years of aquiring parts..lol but I figure not many people will think a tame sounding C4 vette will have much under the hood.. should make for a great sleeper!

Chris
Old 04-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Howdy, car looks pimp !!!

Got some questions for general info.... what boost you plan on running? what is the intercooler setup gonna be? and maybe some fuel system info...

Looks like the vette has just as much clearance as the f-body

P.s.- got my pics up finally....grrr
Old 04-14-2005, 05:43 PM

the motor is about 8.5 to 1 compression, I figure once I am comfortable with everyhting and nothing ugly is popping up, i will max tune for 93 pump gas, and see what happens.. I would like to be able to run about 14 pounds on 93 with a conservative tune. Intercooler is a 14" x 4" x 26" A2A cooler, should be good for a fair amount of power.. the rating on them is so screwy I hate to even guess, but I have seen these work with relatively good efficiency on some supras making close to 900 rwhp, so I am guessing it will sustain my power goals.

once everything is dialed in and the new motor is broken in and I have resolved any crank case issues and everyhting is looking good, i would like to try up to about the 20psi range for grins on the dyno.

fuel system is a twin walbro GSS 340 setup with twin harnesses from racetronix, -8an feed from the pumps to a Y-block, then into -10 AN to the engine bay, I have a barry grant -10an EFI filter, then into a Aeromotive FI regulator, and out the other side to a Y-block, and twin -8an to the rails, -8 AN return line, I'm running 83 lb/hr siemens injectors. Full DFI Gen 7 with dual synch distributor (had the LT4 manifold modified to accept the distributor).. has the crank and cam sensors built in.. you just set the base timing of the distributor to "0" degrees, and it does all the advancing in the brain via calmap programming from the laptop.. nice alternative to the optispark if you go aftermarket engine management, and makes the Gen 7 a true sequential setup with individual cylinder fuel and spark trim capabilities. can run 8 EGT senders in all the primaries and account for manifold distribution differences and maintain proper and linear air fuel ratios across the board on all cylinders. I am also running the wideband setup from accel, and the knock sensor setup.. just retaining the stock ECU to run the digital gauges for oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp, battery voltage, tach, MPH.. etc etc. DFI won't run these. but the ECU will be non existent in controlling anything.. it will simply read sensor inputs and the DFI will act as a ghost.. so technically all things said.. plugging up to an OBDII inspection station should show eveyrhting working according to game plan..lol we'll see for sure though.

I'm running a 50mm HKS wastegate, 50mm Tial BOV, greddy profec spec II boost controller, trickflow heads, forged bottom end 355, gonna try out the stock LT4 cam for now and see how it goes.. may slip osmething with some more lift in down the road, but I want this car to be an ultimate sleeper on the street, quiet, smooth idle.. etc.. all gauges are retractable and have blackout button on them, nothing can be seen with hood closed, just gotta ease out of parking lots so the BOV doesn't chipper between shifts...lol other then that, I have tons of other little mods for ignition amplifying, valvetrain, meziere pump, double rooler billet timing set.. the only thing I am really not positive on yet is the crank case vacuum setup.. I have a few electric air pumps from out vettes and was thinking of going that route, but wanna see how well the rings seat without it first to make sure eveyrhting in the motor is up to snuff.

I give myself about 6-8 weeks before I roll it out of the garage for the first drive. gotta get some stuff coated and finish installing the fuel system.. we'll see, I will post up some more progress pics as I get a chance to snap em!

Chris
Old 04-14-2005, 09:28 PM

no offense, but with all that money and effort, why bother with an off the shelf cam?

why not get a custom turbo sleeper cam specifically for your setup.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:19 PM

Read again, he said the original LT4 cam that came in the car, not the LT4 hotcam. Should be a nice sleeper w/ great street manners and make some decent power if you have some good-flowing heads.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:03 PM

turbo6 hit the nail on the head... the LT4 cam seems like it might make a very nice turbo cam.. 203/210 .476" / .479" on a 115 LSA. I am more after a smooth idle and good power.. the heads will be stage 3 ported Trickflows.. prolly close to 205-210 CC's after porting. if the cam is the bottleneck, thats not a problem.. I have a few others on the shelf here from other vette builds, and will likely go up some once I get accustomed to the new power from the combo on this cam. Once what I'm packin under the hood is out and well known, we'll step it up a notch...lol but for the time being, smooth quiet and potent are the goals!

But I agree.. down the road, I will be wanting to add a few degrees of duration, and certainly up the lift to take advantage of the turbo and heads.

right now.. if it runs again sometime before summer hit, I will be one happy camper.. it has been down for about a year and a half through a divorce, move and new job.. just got the chance to build my garage and get it in working condition, so small steps for now.. once the headers go off to the coater, I will slip the new motor in and pull the mock up block.. which is what you see in the pictures.. no I would not use that rusted spun bearing ship anchor..lol just to mock everything up so I can keep the new shortblock bagged and oiled until its ready to go in!

thanks for the comments guys!

will post some progress when I get the digi cam this weekend!

Chris
Old 04-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Nice!