Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Inter cooler tubing

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM

Inter cooler tubing

I'm getting ready to start fabricating my cooler piping. Anyone have any suggestions on what diameter i should use? I have a vortech s-trim pushing 9lbs. of boost,mild cam, long tubes, and all the bolt ons.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

Re: Inter cooler tubing

I don't have a suggestion for diameter, but I DO suggest that you mock it up with plastic plumbing pipe.

Actually, and I KNOW I'll get flamed for this, but there are some you could actually use AS tubing (check the pressure/temp specs on the pipe.)

But my suggestion is really about using it to model your setup.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:29 AM

Anyone, maybe 3'' or 2.5''?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:17 AM

3" would be ideal, but I'm not sure if there's room for 3" everywhere you need to run the tubing at. 2.5" would be fine.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:34 AM

It depends on what type of intercooler you use. If the pipes enter/exit on opposite sides, you could do 3" all the way through, or 2.5 in/3 out. If the pipes enter/exit on the same side you may have to use 2.5 for clearance. I wouldn't use anything smaller than 3" from the intercooler to the TB if you can (3.5" after the MAF).
Old 12-28-2005, 03:21 PM

I have a air to water intercooler. the tubing will be in one side and out the other. i'll be relocating the battery.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:16 PM

I used 3" piping all the way. I used an air to air OBX intercooler......

http://home.mchsi.com/~shortb2002/tubing.JPG
http://home.mchsi.com/~shortb2002/tubing1.JPG
http://home.mchsi.com/~shortb2002/tubing2.JPG
http://home.mchsi.com/~shortb2002/tubing3.JPG

Sorry I don't have any pics of where the pipes go into the intercooler, but I didn't get my digital camera until the nose was back on.

I was able to relocate the coolant overflow reservoir with a $20 plastic unit from Jegs. Works great, I just attached it to the inner fender liner right below where the original reservoir was.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:27 AM

Where did you move the battery to and was that the only way to route 3 inch tubing for the FMIC? I'd like to try and keep the battery upfront if possible.

-B
Old 01-23-2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by blown383
Where did you move the battery to and was that the only way to route 3 inch tubing for the FMIC? I'd like to try and keep the battery upfront if possible.

-B
I relocated the battery to the rear. Don't have pics of that right now, but may take some later. It really cleans up the look of the engine compartment with it gone.

I looked for every possible combination of pipe routing to keep from having to relocate the battery (really didn't want to have to spend the money on the parts to move it), but there was no way to do it that I could see with 3" piping. At least not short of moving the radiator (if thats possible) or cutting up all the supports or even the hood.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:35 PM

If you can post pics of the intercooler routing that would be most helpful!

-B
Old 01-24-2006, 12:35 PM

I just acquired some 3" aluminum pipe cheap and have access to a hydrolic bender.How would I find out the dimentions of the pecies that make up a D1sc with twin high flow intercooler.I would like to start fabing pipe togher before I buy the blower in the spring.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:04 AM

Victory racing is building me a Forged 9:1 compression for my D1SC, and will have a 4inch OBX FMIC. I have about 50 pics or so of FMIC setups if anyone would be interested in viewing them. I plan on routing mine are special way anyways. WILL LOOK SICK

Bryan 94 Z28 I was planning on routing my IC piping the way you did until I seen the Coolant reservoir in the way, Do you HAPPEN to have any pics of that and what Part number did you get JEGS to relocate the tank. The battery is no big deal to locate for me. I am trying to follow what you said but WHERE DID YOU MOUNT IT?????

I will see if I can post pics later.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:44 PM

Here is the link for the reservoir I got:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0127&langId=-1

Part #547-600-025-11 (the blue)

Some people may tell you that you need the recirculating reservoir (big $$$ and oddly shaped), but I haven't had a problem with this catch can. I just plugged one end of the can with a small vacuum cap and ran a small hose up to the overflow spout on the radiator. I mounted it on the plastic inner fender well, just below where the original reservoir was, and right in front of the front tire. It may appear to be a flimsy spot to mount it, but once the lower support panel is attached, its actually very sturdy. It gave me all the room I needed to run the IC piping up through there.

I'll take a couple pics tonight, but I won't be taking the front bumper cover off until spring.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:12 PM

OK, I just went and tried to take pics, its impossible to get a pic of the mounted reservoir with the intercooler pipe right in the way. When I get a chance to take the nosepiece off, I'll take pics of that and the rest of the pipe routing for the rest of you guys.

I've actually thought about making and selling forms for these pipes that we fabbed up. They worked out really well, but only after a LOT of tweaking.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:16 AM

Bryan - Do you have any pics of how the intercooler sits in relation to the windshield wiper tank? The way I routed mine I wanted to retain the fog lamps so I had to sacrifice the tank.

-B

Quick Reply: Inter cooler tubing