Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

help my supercharged lt1 PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 04:33 PM

help my supercharged lt1 PLEASE!!!

last summer i bought a vortech superchargerkit for my 97 lt1...eversince its been HELL!! it doesnt run right at all..it came with a bigger feul pump,a feul managment system and everything to install..so i put all that on...along with different plugs and a msd ign. i also had slp headers put on recently with a borla exhasut..i also put on the 58 mil twin throtlle bodie, with the better mass air flow sencor(liconfelter i think or something like that)..well it was problems from day 1..so first i listened t0 one person and said to get my comp. tuned..so i sent it out to fast chips...got it back and now it was worse..they told me to take the FMU off and put 36# injectors in and put my stock MAF sencor back on because that high perf. one sux and mis reads..anyway..i was better a first themn it wouild flood out bad,then i started into detonation problems...when i floor it it misses,bangs and doesnt go..half throttle it runs good though..WHAT IS WRONG AND WHO CAN HELP. im running 6 lbs of boost i have a boost gauge and a feul pressure gauge and air/feul ratio..its reedaing lean off the gauge..PLEASE HELP ME OUT im in the pittsburgh area..LATROBE to be exact is there anyone near by that knows what the hell they are doing and have messed with supercharged LT1's???anyone here who is running a vortech kit please email me id like to talk to ya...
Old 03-14-2005, 05:34 PM

Re: help my supercharged lt1 PLEASE!!!

Well you are at the right place. Just be prepared that this may take a little time to get figured out.

Just as an aside, try and use better punctuation and proof read your posts. Edit them afterwards if you need too because, too be honest, its kind of hard work to figure out your writing.

Firstly, do you have a boost timing module? This DOES sound like a tuning problem. It will probably be VERY wise to get a scanning program somewhere. I'm out of touch on this recently as I have gone to a different computer, but being able to log the car will be a huge help in diagnosing. Autotap USE to be the program but I'm sure there are alternatives.

Did you replace the opti?

Ideally you should try and find someone in your area that has some experience tuning. LT1 edit is a program that you can buy to retune your PCM yourself although I tend to think that having someone experienced is a major help. Perhaps go to the regional board on the main page and see if there is someone locally can help. I;m sure you will get some advise if you are patient.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:12 AM

http://www.lonniesperformance.com/

He is in Perryopolis, PA. I'm sure he can help.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:47 PM

thanks alot...i feel like an idiot but what is an opti??? i definatly didnt replace it if i dont know what it is...someone else told me i need a wideband o2 sencor??? i didnt get one of those either??? can anyone tell me which sencor i need and where i can get it at??? thanks alot...john
Old 03-16-2005, 03:25 PM

Opti is the distributer, usually called the Optispark, opti for short. So you put a blower on your car and have no logging or tuning software Did you hook up the FMU right? I've herd similar problems like you are having, right when you go into boost the FMU starts to pinch off the supply side instead of the return. Make sure the thing is hooked up correctly.

I would HIGHLY suggest you bring your car to s reputable DYNO tuning facility before you blow up the engine (it is stock, right?) Also start saving for a rebuild.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:36 PM

I agree......get the thing dyno tuned and it should solve all of your problems. keep the bigger injectors and stock maf, and NO FMU. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM

thanks alot guys...i got ahold of bryan hertar at pcmforless he is gonna dyno tune it for me...that was my next plan actually was to check the distributer someone told me that from the msd and it missfiring it coiuld have blown it..i just didnt know it was referred as opti...again thanks for all your help..JOHN