Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Getting a Procharger.. need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 08:58 AM

Getting a Procharger.. need some help

Ok.. im ordering a Procharger this week.. and just had some questions. Just FYI... I have a 97WS6 with a stock motor (internally). The current mods i have are.. MAC midlength headers, with custom dual high flow cat y-pipe with electronic cutouts, edelbrock cat-back, throttle body bypass... thats pretty much it so far.

1. I would like to get a P-1SC, w/ twin high flow intercoolers, with a 6lb. and 8lb. boost pulley. Is it possible to order this? Do they only sell the P-1SC with a 10+ lb. pulley? I just want to make sure i can order this setup.

2. What is the highest boost i can safely run on my motor?.. ( the motor has 51000 on it). Can i safely run at 8lbs.?

3. What all will i need to do the install? What size injectors? Can the stock OBD-II be reprogrammed to work well with this setup? What is everything i will need to complete the setup and get it running right?

4. Anything else i should know before going ahead and doing this?

I eventually plan on building the motor and running more boost, but for now i dont have the money.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:15 AM

Re: Getting a Procharger.. need some help

Originally posted by Knightrider794
Ok.. im ordering a Procharger this week.. and just had some questions. Just FYI... I have a 97WS6 with a stock motor (internally). The current mods i have are.. MAC midlength headers, with custom dual high flow cat y-pipe with electronic cutouts, edelbrock cat-back, throttle body bypass... thats pretty much it so far.

1. I would like to get a P-1SC, w/ twin high flow intercoolers, with a 6lb. and 8lb. boost pulley. Is it possible to order this? Do they only sell the P-1SC with a 10+ lb. pulley? I just want to make sure i can order this setup.

2. What is the highest boost i can safely run on my motor?.. ( the motor has 51000 on it). Can i safely run at 8lbs.?

3. What all will i need to do the install? What size injectors? Can the stock OBD-II be reprogrammed to work well with this setup? What is everything i will need to complete the setup and get it running right?

4. Anything else i should know before going ahead and doing this?

I eventually plan on building the motor and running more boost, but for now i dont have the money.
1) Yes you can order the P1SC with an 8lb pulley. I also thought that ATI offered a 4.5lb pulley if you decided to get it non-intercooled.

2) For a non-intercooled setup I would recommend not going over 6lbs. For an intercooled setup I would not exceed 8lb.

3) I would recommend the following:

- 42ln injectors so you can get rid of the FMU (24lbers if you want to keep the FMU). The 42 lbers also gives room for future mods such as heads and cam. I also recommend ditching the inline ATI pump that comes with the kit and installing a Walbro intank 255lph pump.

- Autolite 104s spark plugs (while you are at it you might as well get plug wires also)

- Scanmaster to monitor your car for knock and for 02 readings

- MSD 6BTM or any other type of retard box

- Most importantly I would recommend getting your car dynotuned.

4) Unfortunately there is no way to know how long your car will be able to withstand the abuse of a blower. So be prepared for anything. Some people have gone a few years on a stock shortblock while other have gone a few minutes. Do not get boost greedy. Other than that have fun and good luck. Don't skimp out on things because if you do your car will suffer.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:31 AM

Location: NEPA 15min to stroudsburg, 30min to A-town, 45min to Wilkes-Barre
1 month, 1000 miles and I blew up. Just be ready for the rebuild. My car had 46k on it.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:23 AM

One thing I would suggest is changing the new idler bearings out as soon as you get the kit. I destroyed one $75 belt with my 8 rib setup then went to a 12 rib and destroyed another due to crappy bearings. They are just alternator bearings and the are stocked at Oreilly's ($15) but the ones that ATI puts in them have failed twice for me.
Old 02-29-2004, 03:39 PM

Ok.. thanks.. they are good things to know. But, i just got an awesome deal on a motor with forged internals, lunati cam, flowed and ported heads, etc.. so im getting this motor too, along with the procharger.. now i dont have to be worried about the bottom end
Old 02-29-2004, 04:01 PM

Ok.. thanks.. they are good things to know. But, i just got an awesome deal on a motor with forged internals, lunati cam, flowed and ported heads, etc.. so im getting this motor too, along with the procharger.. now i dont have to be worried about the bottom end
Is the motor designed for a blower? Compression? Cam specs?
Old 02-29-2004, 05:14 PM

First thing I will tell you is that that from my limited experiance with the ati kits, the tensioners that come with the kit are GARBAGE contact Sd-concepts. They can get you a kit and you will not have the trouble of having to get a modified bracket later you can just do it up front. I think they will cut you a pretty good deal if you buy everything from them. www.sd-concepts.com.
I wish I found out about them before i bought mine.
Old 02-29-2004, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by SloLt1Z
First thing I will tell you is that that from my limited experiance with the ati kits, the tensioners that come with the kit are GARBAGE contact Sd-concepts. They can get you a kit and you will not have the trouble of having to get a modified bracket later you can just do it up front. I think they will cut you a pretty good deal if you buy everything from them. www.sd-concepts.com.
I wish I found out about them before i bought mine.
Get to work.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 AM

haha.. I dont have the specs on the motor yet, as far as cam specs and everything, BUT, the motor was built specifically to be run with a supercharger, so it should be setup good for my application. Is this tensioner kit expensive???
Old 03-04-2004, 10:14 AM

Hey i just followed the link to SD concepts and on their drop down menu there is no LT1 option.. just LS1...
Old 03-04-2004, 10:52 AM

Hey i just followed the link to SD concepts and on their drop down menu there is no LT1 option.. just LS1...
There is a kit for an LT1. You will have to send your blower bracket to SD concepts and he modify it with his spring loaded tensioner. I think he charges $495.00.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:59 PM

He does LT-1, hell I just got my Z back from them a few weeks ago. Scott is great to deal with and got the car done on time as promised and that is a rarity

Marc