Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Found answers to my FP "spikeing" and "breaking up" problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 04:11 AM

Found answers to my FP "spikeing" and "breaking up" problems

Thanks to those who tried to help me out first of all.....REALQUICK reading my freescan files, got me looking in the right direction for my "breaking" up, and the other folks who got me really looking at that POS FMU!
Anyway, the FMU was causing the FP pressure spiking. I ripped that POS off and boosted the pressure to 50 on my Aeromotive adj. FP reg. With the boost referance built in, it brings up the pressure nicely!
Now the breaking up....My fault. When i downloaded the PCMFORLESS program, i read the pcm first and it saved the program
When you go to flash load the new program it asks you to name the OLD program first.
I named it BLOWER program.......So when i went to flash the new program, it gives you 2 options....and one said "blower" program....
I WA RUNNING MY LT4 PROGRAM! Free running my.... (sitting in neutral, desk top) ...car while scanning, showed NO knock, idle to 5800 rpm.....HUH? NOTHING? I reloaded the correct program....No more breaking up....
So.....I'm just lucky i didn't fry this thing...
Evidently Speed Pro makes some mighty strong Blower forgings, because it saw some fairly substantial (again) detonation!
I don't understand why it didn't show ANY knock with that program....I scanned it after i re flashed it and sure enough, there was 5 degrees of retard, then about 12 degrees of "burst knock" when i let off....(thanks REALQUICK)......
So, a little wrenching to take care of a few things , and then off to the dyno i will go early next week.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:16 AM

Glad to hear you you fixed it, now you can have some fun
Old 07-09-2004, 10:04 AM

John, awesome bro! Glad to see your moving in the right direction. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful, but I knew something wasnt right with the old program cuz you werent seeing any knock. Keep me posted and if you want to log some files from the dyno I'll take a peak too. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:30 PM

Dyno day is next Wed. morning.
I wanted to be able to work out any other "bugs" before then....Don't want to waste time on the dyno!
I'm going to (website) www.turbotechnologyinc.com ....They will be welding in an 02 bung in my exhaust to get accurate wideband readings. (45 bucks to get your "Bung" welded) Hmmmmmmm....... that's an odd statement, lets move on..........
I tossed the FMU, i'm hoping my 30lb Accels, with 255lph and inline are enough, some say they are, but i'm looking for 500 RWHP....Or close, anyway. Well, the dyno won't lie and i can tune from there.

Thanks again
John
Old 07-09-2004, 03:01 PM

Emailed ya...
Old 07-09-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by blk95zm6
I tossed the FMU, i'm hoping my 30lb Accels, with 255lph and inline are enough, some say they are, but i'm looking for 500 RWHP....Or close, anyway.
Good luck! Those injectors will not flow enough fuel for 500 rwhp. You'd be pushing 42's at that power level. my 42's were maxed out at 542 rwhp, running 96-98% duty cycle. Apparently the stock PCM doesn't like much above 80% duty cycle.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by SMOKNZ
Good luck! Those injectors will not flow enough fuel for 500 rwhp. You'd be pushing 42's at that power level. my 42's were maxed out at 542 rwhp, running 96-98% duty cycle. Apparently the stock PCM doesn't like much above 80% duty cycle.
yup...
Old 07-09-2004, 06:00 PM

Time for alcohol.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:25 PM

Glad to see you got it figured out. I guess we won’t see a F-body in a ball of flames now.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:04 PM

Here's the dyno result.....
451 RWHP
438 RWTQ at 5800 rpm. power was still climbing, but starts to detonate....More tuning req.
Af ratio's varied from 10:1 to 13:7:1....
Fat below 5200 rpm, lean above...
LT1 heads with stock valve sizes....114+4 lsa .528-.544 218-230 cam... 9:5:1 compression
Not bad for a "rough" tune, running 30's with no FMU and the Aeromotive adj. FP reg handling pressure increase nicely...
I have to make a decision....Rebuild the FMU and run it...(bettor MPG) Tune for the 30's, though my base pressure at idle is 52 psi on the gauge....(mileage is toast)
...Or 40 lb injector's and more programming...and tuning...
all in all, i'm pretty happy about it....I bet i can get to almost 500 RWHP....
Old 07-15-2004, 12:18 AM

If you are going to upgrade the injectors, might as well get the largest hi impedence ones you can get, or at least large enought to give you some room to grow. You should be able to tune them so that milage/idle isn't too bad.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:49 AM

Nice numbers John. You definitely have more in it, especially since you cut the run off @ 5850rpm. I would think you could spin that 6-6.2k for peak power.

The major problem that people here need to know is that John is receiving mail order tunes, and he isnt manually tuing it on the dyno. John isnt playing with the PE tables to richen/lean where he needs. It is what it is. He hasnt been able to check his duty cycle yet which will show some important info.

Keep cranking John, and try to redownload datamaster again. I would reinstall it. I'll email you later.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:56 PM

Nice numbers, defently need bigger injectors. I maxed out 30LB injectors at 426 HP.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:19 PM

Why does everyone think mileage goes away with larger injectors. Just changing the size of the injector doesn't require the engine to need extra fuel. Telling the PCM the injector is larger will require a recalculation of the pulsewidth needed, and the PCM will adjust. I noticed ZERO mileage and driveability change going from stock injectors to Lucas 42#ers.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by SMOKNZ
Why does everyone think mileage goes away with larger injectors. Just changing the size of the injector doesn't require the engine to need extra fuel. Telling the PCM the injector is larger will require a recalculation of the pulsewidth needed, and the PCM will adjust. I noticed ZERO mileage and driveability change going from stock injectors to Lucas 42#ers.
hey, what did you have to change when you went to the lucas 42's? I have the same injectors right now. I've only changed the rate from 24 something to 42 so far. Could you send me a copy of your edit file?

Quick Reply: Found answers to my FP "spikeing" and "breaking up" problems