Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

FMIC With In and Out on Driver's Side?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM

FMIC With In and Out on Driver's Side?

So I took the front clip off and looked over what needs to be done to add a FMIC. It seems like the way to use the least amount of pipe is to go with the in and out on the driver's side. The IC is 4" shorter than the bigger 31" but I am only going 6# so it's probably a good size for low boost. Seems like the pipe will clear, if not I'll bang,er, clearence it till it does. Anyone use 2OTR (2ontheright) and does this work well?

overall deminsions 27x11x3
Name:  2otl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  38.8 KB

overall deminsions 31x12x3
Name:  bigger2otl.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  36.2 KB

Last edited by Hal Fisher; 08-05-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM

thats how mine is setup... all the pipe is on the drivers side..

its very easy to do.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM

I went with the smaller one. I'll post pics on the progress.

Hal
Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM

Won't the top outlet hit the cross member where you have to mount it??
Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Purple Poncho
Won't the top outlet hit the cross member where you have to mount it??
You can mount a shorter inturdcooler in front of the bumper support brace.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM

I don't know what cross-member is talked about. I am cutting away a lot of the egg shell crush zone and mounting it directly to the metal bumper. I'm going to cut the front flat face out of the bumper for airflow, leaving the top and bottom for structure. I'll leave a bit of the eggshell on top so someone pressing on the top of the nose won't dent it in.

I think I'll like the angled top part of the IC which angles it down from the turn signal. I'm also going to do most everything behind the bumper cover with silicone hose instead of pipe. That will allow a lot more flexibility around obstacles and keep down chopping up pipes and bead work (wish Harbor Freight sold a cheap beader).

My biggest concerned is the bumper cover has 30ann stripes which can't be replaced (OEM color is different than aftermarket). I do have enough vinyl to make new bumper stripes but nobody will cut it (not even Brent). This makes it really tough to cut the hole in the front knowing it can not be replaced.

Hal

Last edited by Hal Fisher; 08-04-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 AM

I think the two above intercoolers will have a significant loss of CFM over the standard one everybody else uses. If you go from one side to the other you have twice as many tubes for the air to flow through.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM

I don't think adding more tube is a good thing. The additional length and volume of the standard setup might cause a little lag as well. There are only a few ATI intercoolers as big as the standard and all are rated for very high hp (which might mean not desirable for lower hp?). In my case, where I still have AC, ABS, TCS, I am left with a poor area to run the tube back to the intake. It would have to go against the back side of the front bumper. I was just afraid it would block too much air from getting to the radiator. If this doesn't work I can always change it.

Hal
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM

What size are those inlets?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Fisher
I don't think adding more tube is a good thing. The additional length and volume of the standard setup might cause a little lag as well. There are only a few ATI intercoolers as big as the standard and all are rated for very high hp (which might mean not desirable for lower hp?). In my case, where I still have AC, ABS, TCS, I am left with a poor area to run the tube back to the intake. It would have to go against the back side of the front bumper. I was just afraid it would block too much air from getting to the radiator. If this doesn't work I can always change it.
Your right about one thing. The ATI intercoolers will outflow both of those intercoolers. So why would you put such a restrictive intercooler on your car? I assure you it is possible to keep TCS, AC, and ABS and still run a full size intercooler.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM

You got to remember how low a boost I'll be running. I am as much concerned as having the IC as a catch can for an exploding SC as anything I also measured the area I have to play with and it seems 31" would either not fit between the headlight molding or sit too low (I smack the underside way too often). I'll let everyone know how this turns out. I'll note the IAT and everything when it's installed.

Hal
Old 08-06-2009, 02:40 AM

I would go with cross-flow intercooler if I were you- the least amount of hard turns you can prevent the better off you are. I just put a 31" on my car- gives you about 2.5" on each end in the opening so it fills up the nose opening pretty well. In the driver side, out the passenger and then crosses back behind the radiator and up thru behind the driver headlight like Procharger has it.

I cut out the entire center section of the bumper- and filled it back in so that it sits up against the intercooler, nice and clean looking. It was my first attempt at body work so its not perfect, but certainly looks good at even 4 ft away so I'm happy enough- I can get you pics of my set-up if you want...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 AM

I'm hoping the air will go through a maze without being fazed

Yes, please do post some pics.

So your going behind the fans. Because I'm running such low boost I figured I rather have a short pipe and a 180 in the IC than a straight IC and a long pipe. I think the pressure loss for both types are listed as the same. I mean when the air goes into even what appears as a straight through design (might even zig zag inside) it's going to bounce around a lot to fill up the space. I'll email the seller and see what they know.

Hal

Last edited by Hal Fisher; 08-06-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Yes, tucked right under the fans- thats where my MAF is located too- with the piping though the corners aren't as sharp as they are in the intercooler.

The STS rear-mount turbo systems don't have any lag and thats with the piping going from back to front, so I doubt the extra 4 ft of piping is anything to worry about...

I'll take some pics of my set-up so you can get an idea of what I did and how I ran it...its hard to explain but it will make sense when you see it...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Its not a matter of zig zag plumbing. Its a matter of surface area that the engine airflow has to flow through. You've basically cut the area of airflow in half. The more pipes the easier it is to flow through.

Quick Reply: FMIC With In and Out on Driver's Side?