Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Easy Question about intercoolers..

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:23 AM

Easy Question about intercoolers..

Im considering buying a p600b off a friend, and wanted to know where i could buy an intercooler or if i could fabricate one. If so how hard would it be to make?

Also whats the most i could pulley up to on the p600b 12#'s?
Old 10-19-2004, 05:45 PM

Re: Easy Question about intercoolers..

If you want to buy everything and bolt up, I'd say call ATI and get their kit. Search the forums for a used ATI kit. If you want to buy an intercooler and make the kit yourself, I suggest ebay as a great place to start. There are ones to avoid, but for the most part you can find decent stuff. I'd also reccomend hitting the turbomustangs forums (espicially the JY and DIY forum) as you will find a wealth of information and advice for buying kits, making your own, welding etc.

Welding an intercooler is difficult, as it is aluminum and rather touchy at that because of the core. Some people are good at it, I am extremely not. Making one honestly will be more expensive (usually) then just buying one because you need to both get an intercooler core and the end tanks.

Buying an assembled intercooler and then the pipes & such will probably be the cheapest way, but you will need to either copy an existing setup or get really creative. As you can guess, locating an intercooler on an fbody sometimes can be tricky. Custom intercoolers fit better, but cost more usually. Sometimes you get lucky however.

Also I'd reccomend taking a good bit of time with the search feature - you can put a FMIC in, but you will have to mod your front end. Some people dont mind doing that, others do.

Last edited by Geoff Chadwick; 10-19-2004 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:31 PM

Re: Easy Question about intercoolers..

I got my Spearco from Jordon Musser for a pretty decent price. It's pretty close to the same dimensions of the ATI 3-core (3 2-110 cores) but it'll support way more than the old three-core. If you're looking for something used, check turbomustangs.com. Sometimes there's some pretty good units on there.