Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

cant run headers with a paxton??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 07:27 PM

Unhappy cant run headers with a paxton??

hey guys just bought my paxton and was going to start install soon, but i just heard you cant run long tubes , or any headers for that matter with it?? is this true? any ways out of this? or should i sell it, i have a 95 lt1. im also doing heads cam, and all other stuff soon and have full bolt ons now, and going to be getting all fuel ungrades...what do i do about the header situation?????
Old 02-21-2004, 09:01 PM

who told u that???

I dont see why can not run headers.....
Old 02-21-2004, 10:27 PM

some guy replied with that in my other post about injectors, i told him im putting the paxton and long tubes and heads and cam in and he said for his he couldnt run any type of header, so he had to have a set modified for him, and it didnt look simple or cheap to do...i dunno wut to do now?? buy a new SC??
Old 02-21-2004, 10:33 PM

didn't you think I was telling the truth in the other thread? I did custom fabricating in order to make a set of long tubes work...

the paxtons are rear exit superchargers. because of this, their pressurized tubing has to make a 90 degree bend before it heads up.

the reason why ATI and Vortech work fine is that they are straight-discharge superchargers, which means the exit is verticle. That places their intake tubing 4-6 inches further toward the front of the car than the paxtons.

Did you look at the pic in the other thread? it's quite obvious that there's no room for anything but the stock manifolds. Here it is again: http://www.lt1.org/other/jpg/slip-fit.jpg

If the header stays level or drops at all from #1, it won't work. It has to bend up like the manifolds, and must hug the valve cover as much as possible. There's very little room even for what I did.

Oh yeah. mongse_1 was there when everything was being pieced together. He can vouch for it.

Last edited by Roadie; 02-21-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:53 PM

bro dont take it the wrong way that i posted this, im just trying to find someone that had either found a way to cchange the way the paxton is routed, or a company that has made a header for this problem. i just dont wanna have to sell a supercharger that i just bought... on your setup how much did it cost (or would it cost assuming i cant do that myself))to modify the headers like that? and could it be done to a set of long tubes?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:25 PM

I didn't mean to come off as offended... I couldn't find anyone on here with paxton stuff when I first got mine. I still don't think there's too many people running their stuff, at least browsing this forum of the board on a regular basis.

Anyway, I did it pretty cheaply... A hunk of 3/8 flat steel to create a flange, a 1 3/4" exhaust donut and a little straight tubing. Since jet-hot and hooker long tubes both have a slip-fit primary for #1, it was quite easy to just replace that (and keep the old one for later on).

I used all 4 90* bends from the donut to go up, back, down, and back again, with a little straight tubing in between. If you had someone build you one, I'd guess around $100-150. I spent a little extra and had it jet-hot coated to match the headers.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:28 PM

oh yeah, mine also separates in the middle (you can see it in the picture) for ease of installation. I flared the lower pipe and slid the upper one into it.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:39 AM

I had the paxton installed and I had the shorty edelbrock headers.. While its close it fits, I had it and I can show you a video of it... I didn't like the idea of the header heating up my IA... but... it did gave good power...

Upgrade to a VR4.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by The Highlander
I had the paxton installed and I had the shorty edelbrock headers.. While its close it fits, I had it and I can show you a video of it... I didn't like the idea of the header heating up my IA... but... it did gave good power...

Upgrade to a VR4.

Same thing here, here's a crappy pic of it

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...05231355nNPGUz

I'll take a better one sometime with my new camera

Carson
Old 03-05-2004, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Roadie
Oh yeah. mongse_1 was there when everything was being pieced together. He can vouch for it.
Heh, 2 weeks too late, yes I was in the shop when it was being done.