Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Budget Minded 500whp (LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Budget Minded 500whp (LT1)

Hey Guys

I have recently decided I want to go FI instead of N/A+spray.

Im looking for 500whp and dont care about room to grow.
I plan to keep it at 500whp, cause it is just a street car and Ive driven more powerful cars on the street and I think 500whp would be a good balance between "too much" and "way too freakin much"

So I want to build it for 500whp, not 500whp with room to grow to 600whp.

Also remeber Im on a budget, Im not gonna build a ticking time bomb, but Im not gonna over build the **** out of it.

I was thinking stock crank (maybe studded mains), forged scat rods (many people have been reccomended keeping stock rods with good bolts), forged pistons (have yet to decide anything in this area), stock heads, possibly a cam.

Then Im hoping to run Real Quicks turbo setup, Im just waiting to hear back from him on what he reccomends.

Anybody have any comments, critiques or advice?

What turbo would you use? (im worried about everyones favorite T76 beign to big)
Old 06-23-2009, 12:47 PM

For a true budget build, I still love the MP t70. Its perfect for your goals. RQ can build a hotside for it just as easy (or easier) than a t70.

Stock crank, rods depends on your budget - but stock would work - some srp pistons - and a rough SD tune.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 AM

I wouldnt dump any money into the stock rods. Re conditioning them and arp bolts are expensive. Decent forged ones can be had for 300-350, I would spend the money on some.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:06 PM

speed pro -21.10 cc pistons, about 400 for the set
Old 06-24-2009, 06:14 PM

Get the Scat I-beams with 7/16 rod bolts. Definitely stud the mains - no reason not to. Stock cam should work pretty good as well as an MP70. A 76mm would be over-kill and will spool slower than you might like.

RQ can probably hook you up with a stock manifold kit.

-Scott.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Your asking us (the people) for our opinion. So i'll give it to you.

Forged I beams. Period. They are less than $300 and reconditions stock rods and good hardware will run you too close to that price not to just buy them.

Pistons. Well it really doesn't matter. A good forged set that will get you in the 9:1 - 9.5:1 area. If you want to get picky, usually the more quality sets (more money) weight less.

Turbo. Honestly a T76 is WAY overkill for your power goals (but will spool faster than you think, mine did). A T70 is still goin further than you need to. A T67 will make 600rwhp all day long. But I do not think there is a price difference, or much of one between the 67 and 70 in any brand. Since this is a budget minded project with VERY conservative goals (imo, since I made those numbers on a stock 5.3), a Master Power turbo is the only way to fly. (Speaking of, who do I talk to about becoming a sponsor? I want to get you guys your Master Power & Turbonetics turbos =] )

As for the turbo setup. If you want to retain a/c.... then contact a few different sponsors and see what they can cook up for you.

If you dont want a/c, I reccomend diving in!!! Have fun with it, take your time, read some peoples project threads, and when your done you'll have something you can proudly say you built!!

Only reason I say the thing about the a/c, is because its a little tight as it is without a/c. With a/c you will have to go a completly different route (like a log).

Stock heads are good, and stock cam is honestly great. A purpose built cam will get ya another good 40-60rwhp if right in a lot of cases though.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM

Josh, I sent ya an email. I just got back from vacation.

If you buy from me, I'd recommend a log manifold kit and T76. Here is my reasoning:

Log Manifold Kit - because I don't do the cast manifolds that keep A/C anymore LOL, and the log setup is cheaper than the header setup

T76 - because you could make 500rwhp @ 6-8psi depending on the cam setup. Making 500rwhp at a low boost level is the way to go. Bigger turbo pushes more air.

JMO
Old 06-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Josh, I sent ya an email. I just got back from vacation.

If you buy from me, I'd recommend a log manifold kit and T76. Here is my reasoning:

Log Manifold Kit - because I don't do the cast manifolds that keep A/C anymore LOL, and the log setup is cheaper than the header setup

T76 - because you could make 500rwhp @ 6-8psi depending on the cam setup. Making 500rwhp at a low boost level is the way to go. Bigger turbo pushes more air.

JMO

I agree with you on the Bigger turbo flowing more air (and dont have to work as hard = less heat).

But if you go that big I recommend spending the coin on a t-netics unit (I can get a T-netics 78mm to someone for like $950 shipped... again, Who i do talk to about sponsorship??). The spool time will be better and the customer support I have seen is unmatched.

Jon is a great guy and wouldn't steer you wrong. His advise is good. Though I do believe it will take a little high compression motor to get close to 500rwhp on stock heads with low boost levels. Eight pounds at least I would imagine with maybe 10:1??
Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by LT1-TA
I agree with you on the Bigger turbo flowing more air (and dont have to work as hard = less heat).

But if you go that big I recommend spending the coin on a t-netics unit (I can get a T-netics 78mm to someone for like $950 shipped... again, Who i do talk to about sponsorship??). The spool time will be better and the customer support I have seen is unmatched.

Jon is a great guy and wouldn't steer you wrong. His advise is good. Though I do believe it will take a little high compression motor to get close to 500rwhp on stock heads with low boost levels. Eight pounds at least I would imagine with maybe 10:1??
Thanks for the words. yeah, i recommend a TC76 for the fast spool. One of my customers ran 10.8 @ 128mph w/ 9:1 CR with stock heads/cam thru an auto. he made 8.5psi in 1st gear and 11.5psi in 2nd and 3rd gear with a slipping tranny on that run. i don't know the hp required for 128mph, but i'd assume he was ~500rwhp or so... and he wasnt even touching the limits of the kit.

I have a 9:1 383 with stock heads/383ci and it rips the tires from a 3rd gear 50mph roll 9only hitting 5psi before it shreds the tires). i believe i am only at ~500rwhp... hitting 4th gear once i saw 8psi.

Email Jason (the admin for the site). he can direct you to sponsorship info.

Jon
Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LT1-TA
again, Who i do talk to about sponsorship??
Are you talking about becoming a board sponsor, a.k.a. supporting vendor? Send JasonD a PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Hey Guys

I have recently decided I want to go FI instead of N/A+spray.

Im looking for 500whp and dont care about room to grow.
I plan to keep it at 500whp, cause it is just a street car and Ive driven more powerful cars on the street and I think 500whp would be a good balance between "too much" and "way too freakin much"

So I want to build it for 500whp, not 500whp with room to grow to 600whp.

Also remeber Im on a budget, Im not gonna build a ticking time bomb, but Im not gonna over build the **** out of it.

I was thinking stock crank (maybe studded mains), forged scat rods (many people have been reccomended keeping stock rods with good bolts), forged pistons (have yet to decide anything in this area), stock heads, possibly a cam.

Then Im hoping to run Real Quicks turbo setup, Im just waiting to hear back from him on what he reccomends.

Anybody have any comments, critiques or advice?

What turbo would you use? (im worried about everyones favorite T76 beign to big)
so what did you decide to do?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 PM

500rwhp x 1.25 = 588 engine hp
stock LT1 275-300hp?
588-300 = 288hp
288/8psi = 36hp per psi boost.

A stock LT1 won't gain 36hp per psi, more like 20-25.

While a T76 turbo's compressor isn't optimally eficient at your projected pressure ratio range, spool-up time is controlled by the A/R size of the turbine housing, not the compressor wheel size.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 09-09-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
500rwhp x 1.25 = 588 engine hp
stock LT1 275-300hp?
588-300 = 288hp
288/8psi = 36hp per psi boost.
Wrong way to do the math.

588/300 = 1.96

Which means you need 1.96 atmospheres of manifold pressure to get there. That's roughly 14 psi.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Wrong way to do the math.

588/300 = 1.96

Which means you need 1.96 atmospheres of manifold pressure to get there. That's roughly 14 psi.
You're making the assumption that power output is perfectly linear with manifold pressure, which it won't be in the real world due to many factors. But it's a good estimation.

And thats not the 'wrong way' to do the math, you were solving for/proving something different than I was.

I think alot of people don't really appreciate how much 500rwhp actually is.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 09-10-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
I think alot of people don't really appreciate how much 500rwhp actually is.
x2...My car's last known RWHP was 465hp, that was 33 cubes and 5 psi ago...it was a handfull to drive then at times, now its REALLY fun.

500 rwhp is a nice round number to a lot of people...not everyone realizes how much power difference there is between 500 flywheel and 500 rear-wheel..

Quick Reply: Budget Minded 500whp (LT1)