Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

BOV placement and pulley ratings.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 05:35 PM

BOV placement and pulley ratings.

First, I want to place the bov just after the blower but before the intercooler to release uncooled air. I hear of some people placing the valve after the maf to minimize air moving backwards over the sensor. Is the way I want to do mine alright?

Second, what are the boost ratings given to a 3.161" pulley in the P600b kit? What about a ~3.04" pulley?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:28 AM

Re: BOV placement and pulley ratings.

Originally posted by slimdawson
First, I want to place the bov just after the blower but before the intercooler to release uncooled air. I hear of some people placing the valve after the maf to minimize air moving backwards over the sensor. Is the way I want to do mine alright?

Second, what are the boost ratings given to a 3.161" pulley in the P600b kit? What about a ~3.04" pulley?

Thanks, Mike.
Is this blower on a stock short motor, 355, 383, 396.......
Old 06-30-2004, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: BOV placement and pulley ratings.

Originally posted by IDOXLR8
Is this blower on a stock short motor, 355, 383, 396.......
It is on a stock LT1.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:07 AM

I am going to assume you have a 7.65 inch crank pulley. How are you measuring your blower pulleys? You are suppose to measure between the grooves and not the outside diameter of the pulley. Also how high do you plan to spin your car. In reality it is hard to determine how much boost your car will make with a pulley. Yeah ATI may sell you a 15lb pulley but it may only make 13lbs on a stock shortblock. On a built 355 or 383 it may only make 11lbs. Since you are running a stock shortblock I would not risk running anything over 8lbs of boost unless you are looking for a quick rebuild. Also remember that the P600b has a redline of 60K rpms and the closer you get to the redline the less efficient the blower is.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:51 AM

Ahh, I wasn't measuring correctly. I was measuring at the peaks of the grooves, not the valleys.

I want to spin the car whatever makes it fastest. I currently shift around 6.2-6.3k but figured I was going to have to drop back down with the blower.

Using the crank and blower pulley sizes, how can I figure the rpm of the unit?

I guess I should put the bigger pulley on and just see what kind of boost I am making. If not enough, put the smaller one on.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:05 AM

Ahh, I wasn't measuring correctly. I was measuring at the peaks of the grooves, not the valleys.

I want to spin the car whatever makes it fastest. I currently shift around 6.2-6.3k but figured I was going to have to drop back down with the blower.

Using the crank and blower pulley sizes, how can I figure the rpm of the unit?

I guess I should put the bigger pulley on and just see what kind of boost I am making. If not enough, put the smaller one on.
This is how you calculate blower rpm:

Crank pulley/Blower Pulley*step ratio (3.05 for a P600b)*engine rpm.

Are you not worried about the stock bottom end?
Old 07-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Are you not worried about the stock bottom end? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you are referring to rpms, no. If the stock rotating assy. comes apart at only 6300, something was wrong to begin with. I admit, I use to turn it around 5800, but was lured into higher rpms by my circle track friend. He builds a hell of a motor and so I trusted his judgement. True, my junk is stock but it sure did make my car quicker.

As I was saying though, I had planned on bringing that back down to around 5800 with the boost.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:29 AM

Are you not worried about the stock bottom end?
If you are referring to rpms, no. If the stock rotating assy. comes apart at only 6300, something was wrong to begin with. I admit, I use to turn it around 5800, but was lured into higher rpms by my circle track friend. He builds a hell of a motor and so I trusted his judgement. True, my junk is stock but it sure did make my car quicker.

As I was saying though, I had planned on bringing that back down to around 5800 with the boost. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am saying are you afraid of putting too much boost through a stock bottom end. All I am saying is that too much boost and stock pistons are not friends.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:13 PM

I am saying are you afraid of putting too much boost through a stock bottom end. All I am saying is that too much boost and stock pistons are not friends. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am listening to your advice. I will not go over 8lbs on the stock motor. I was just saying that if the bigger pulley was not enough(under 7 or so), I would put the smaller one on. I would like to run 7.5 to 8 max. Since I don't know what the pulleys will give me, I will just have to put them on and look at the gage.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:28 PM

Also, what do you think about the bov placement I have in mind?