Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Anybody replace their Bypass Valve with a BOV ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:22 PM

Anybody replace their Bypass Valve with a BOV ?

I know this has come up before, I have done the search and looked through most of the threads concerning this. I understand the differences between the two. The bypass valve stays open in vacuum and bypasses some of the air you are making while the blower is spinning at idle and cruising. The BOV only opens AFTER you have made boost and releases the air, then closes again while cruising. I don't use the MAF anymore, so it doesn't matter to me at all if the air doesn't recirculate.

Has anyone replaced the spring in a BOV so it will open under vacuum ??? If so, it would function the same as a bypass valve. I can do this a lot cheaper than buying ATI's Race Valve which is $415.

ATI told me that with my boost level, the pro-flow surge valve is probably leaking and not bleeding the extra pressure off fast enough when I back off the throttle. So, I need to do something different.

Pictures? Facts?

Cheers,

Sean
Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 PM

In my continuing search for knowledge, I wrote Tial's tech support ...

My E-Mail.

I am thinking about using one of your BOV's in my supercharger application. My question is, will the BOV stay open at idle (i.e. under vacuum) to act as a 'bypass' valve to release some of the air the supercharger is producing at idle and while cruising, and then under boost, close completely and then open completely when I close the throttle?
Would I need to shim or change the spring for this?

Their response:

We make a -3psi spring exactly for what you described

I know No Limit Motorsports has the -3psi springs, so if you order it from them, they should be able to swap out the spring for you
Jake
TiAL Sport

So, I suppose the second part of the question stands: anyone do this yet?
Old 08-06-2007, 04:36 PM

I know NA$TY off of LS1tech had a BOV on his prochagred car before switching to a Turbo had done this. It didn't work out too well actually either from the car always sounded like the BOV was sputtering. I seen videos of it and it didnt' sound right and the minute he switched over to a BPV the car ran like a top.

Now will this apply to you? Can't say but just off the one person who has done it you may just be better getting a bigger BPV. Get a Mondo through summit as they can be had for under 300 and will move the air. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I got lucky and got my ATI Race bpv for under 300.00 new.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:46 PM

I run a TurboXS RFL BOV... its open at low engine speeds on the highway in 5th and 6th gear.

... it starts to open at 12hg and is fully open around 15hg...so when im just loafing down the highway its open a little...cant really hear it unless you know what it sounds like
Old 08-06-2007, 06:15 PM

how does it sound and how much boost are you running?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM

I run a Vortech Mondo bov, and it absolutely does bypass air under vac., you should hear my car on the freeway!
Bypass valve/ blowoff valve do the same thing, the difference is that people route the bypassed air back to the air filter side because of the maf sensor and it's quieter. If you have a car that uses speed density you can simply blow the air off when not needed, ie. under vac. or throttle closed.
Thanks, Steve
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by StripedFomula
how does it sound and how much boost are you running?
I think it sounds good..i had a vid of it some place

most of the time the car is making around 12psi
Old 08-08-2007, 09:30 AM

Upgraded to a D1 Procharger, and replaced my bypass valve with a hks_BOV. My MAF was located on the intake side, and, the BOV on the engine intake after the intercooler. It ran very rich in part throttle closed loop. I went to twin evolution motor sports bybass valves with the retun to the blowr intake downstream of the MAF. Runs much better.

Loosing air after it has been measured by the MAF will lower afr.

Hope this helps. (LT1 383 - D1) B.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 AM

yup, thats why you move the MAF back to the stock location...then it will run like a champ
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sean94Z
I don't use the MAF anymore, so it doesn't matter to me at all if the air doesn't recirculate.
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by blown69nova
Bypass valve/ blowoff valve do the same thing, the difference is that people route the bypassed air back to the air filter side because of the maf sensor and it's quieter.
This is incorrect. Bypass valves and Blowoff valves are indeed different. Bypass valves are open under any vacuum condition (idle, cruise, decel), and Blowoff valves are closed all the time until the throttle is shut under boost and there is a small spike in pressure.

Routing it back into the inlet tract is just referred to as recirculating the bypass/BOV.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
Blowoff valves are closed all the time until the throttle is shut under boost and there is a small spike in pressure.
Everything I have been told is that this is completely dependent on the spring installed inside the BOV. If the spring is strong enough to hold the valve closed while in vacuum, it does, otherwise, it opens just like a bypass valve, then closes when under boost as the two sides are pressurized, and then opens again when you back off the throttle and vacuum returns.

I am ordering the Tial 50mm BOV and the -3 PSI spring. I will let you know how I make out.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 AM

Ya let me know how that works out for you. I hope it works but have my doubts. I have seen BOVs that won't stay closed at certain boost levels because the spring is not strong enough to keep it closed and they will flutter at high boost. What you have to remember is that the vacuum line is only pulling or pushing on a small part of the plunger and the boost is pushing on a 50mm valve more area to push on so who is going to win?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff 96 SS
Ya let me know how that works out for you. I hope it works but have my doubts. I have seen BOVs that won't stay closed at certain boost levels because the spring is not strong enough to keep it closed and they will flutter at high boost. What you have to remember is that the vacuum line is only pulling or pushing on a small part of the plunger and the boost is pushing on a 50mm valve more area to push on so who is going to win?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sean94Z
Everything I have been told is that this is completely dependent on the spring installed inside the BOV. If the spring is strong enough to hold the valve closed while in vacuum, it does, otherwise, it opens just like a bypass valve, then closes when under boost as the two sides are pressurized, and then opens again when you back off the throttle and vacuum returns.

I am ordering the Tial 50mm BOV and the -3 PSI spring. I will let you know how I make out.
I was not aware that there were - psi springs for BOV's.

Quick Reply: Anybody replace their Bypass Valve with a BOV ?