Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

95 M6 LT1 T/A with Vortech V1 charger- clackin/rattling noise from charger unit???

Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
95 M6 LT1 T/A with Vortech V1 charger- clackin/rattling noise from charger unit???

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683146

Everything is posted there, please inform.

Thank you!
indirocz28 is offline  
Old 03-25-2007, 10:28 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM.
Posts: 1,196
Are you sure it's the charger making that noise and not the motor? You can pull the charger belt really quick and spin it by hand and see if it spins free and feel if theres any slop in the shaft also. You shouldn't be able to wiggle around the pulley. You can pull the charger intake and make sure everything looks good on the impeller side too.

Ken R.
roguedriver is offline  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
  #3  
Registered User
 
chevytuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683146

Everything is posted there, please inform.

Thank you!
I have herd vortec chargers that sound like crap. reach in side the super charger
with the car off and see if you can move the impeler see if it wobles. vortec put
the worst bearings in they have a plastic peace that keeps the bearings seperatid. I have seen them fail many of times and the impeler will rub the casing. I all ways replace them with the all metal ones that procharger uses.
Good luck hope this helps. Jason
chevytuned is offline  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 PM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by chevytuned View Post
I have herd vortec chargers that sound like crap. reach in side the super charger
with the car off and see if you can move the impeler see if it wobles. vortec put
the worst bearings in they have a plastic peace that keeps the bearings seperatid. I have seen them fail many of times and the impeler will rub the casing. I all ways replace them with the all metal ones that procharger uses.
Good luck hope this helps. Jason
Ok, I'll see if we can look/feel down in it..

I am very surprised at how calm this car is.. - Should it be more wild or is there a very good chance the supercharger bearings are bad and wobbling, and is the Vortech V1 gear driven inside?

Also- With just a straight bolt on supercharger kit, and stock engine otherwise what should this car put down and how wild should it be? it is still on 245/60ZR16 street tires and i hit it pretty hard today and it didnt seem to have the low end grunt that my 94 Z puts out on motor..
indirocz28 is offline  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:45 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM.
Posts: 1,196
You might want to get that thing on a dyno and verify its tuned correctly. If not, it will be a dog and you'll probably blow it up, especially on stock internals. Heres some tips if you don't have any of this yet: Lose the FMU and get the A/F dialed in with your tune. Upgrade to 30# injectors. Make sure theres at least the Vortech inline booster pump on the car. If not, then upgrade to a HV intake 255 single pump like the Racetronix setup. Make sure your car has a good tune up (plugs, wires, healthy opti ect). Make sure it has the right plugs. NGK TR6's should be good gapped to .035. Thats a start, especially if you bough the car like that. Boost on a stock LT1 is not something you want to mess around with, so you need to make sure you have all that and that your tune is spot on your you'll be yanking that motor out soon.

Ken R.
roguedriver is offline  
Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 PM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by roguedriver View Post
You might want to get that thing on a dyno and verify its tuned correctly. If not, it will be a dog and you'll probably blow it up, especially on stock internals. Heres some tips if you don't have any of this yet: Lose the FMU and get the A/F dialed in with your tune. Upgrade to 30# injectors. Make sure theres at least the Vortech inline booster pump on the car. If not, then upgrade to a HV intake 255 single pump like the Racetronix setup. Make sure your car has a good tune up (plugs, wires, healthy opti ect). Make sure it has the right plugs. NGK TR6's should be good gapped to .035. Thats a start, especially if you bough the car like that. Boost on a stock LT1 is not something you want to mess around with, so you need to make sure you have all that and that your tune is spot on your you'll be yanking that motor out soon.

Ken R.
Yeah- I hear you there. Like i said- my buddy just showed up with it and i pointed everything out. It does have the vortech inline booster pump, i saw that today while we were messing w/ the exhaust, it has stock plugs and wires and i told him he needs to go w/ the TR6's and some aftermarket wires. I told him to go with like 42lb injectors but what the hell. lol.. I honestly dont know, and i really dont think that the car has a tune on it..

ALso- where the diagnostic port should be there isnt one..- i have no idea where whoever built the car put that thing cuz its not under the dash anywhere i've seen... in the diag port's place is a crane cams Hi-6TR adj retard turn ****, which doesnt make sense b/c there is an MSD adj retard/ignition box and that has its own timing retard ****...

weird ****.. This car came from michigan, and the guy that my buddy bought it off of said he bought it at an auction, and that guy didnt seem to know much about it besides the fact it was supercharged...

My buddy thinks its fast ( b/c he stepped into it from a v6 cougar. lol) but i dont want to let him into the reality that - its a dog compared to the way my car swings itself across the road..


we've been thinking about hooking my ECU up to his car and seeing if a tuned ECU will make a difference.. both our cars are running stock injectors, but his is stock engine and force inducted and i just have a cam & intake gasket matched heads...
indirocz28 is offline  
Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
chevytuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
Ok, I'll see if we can look/feel down in it..

I am very surprised at how calm this car is.. - Should it be more wild or is there a very good chance the supercharger bearings are bad and wobbling, and is the Vortech V1 gear driven inside?

Also- With just a straight bolt on supercharger kit, and stock engine otherwise what should this car put down and how wild should it be? it is still on 245/60ZR16 street tires and i hit it pretty hard today and it didnt seem to have the low end grunt that my 94 Z puts out on motor..
Yes it is gear driven that is probably the noise you here you will know if the bearings are bad. check the pully I had one shere the key way before and the pully was spining on the shaft just an idea. As far as horse power depending on how much boost you should be able to turn your tires with ease probably around 80 to 100 horse power over stock. If the super charger is good make shore it is tuned good if not YOU WILL BLOW IT UP.
chevytuned is offline  
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 AM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by chevytuned View Post
Yes it is gear driven that is probably the noise you here you will know if the bearings are bad. check the pully I had one shere the key way before and the pully was spining on the shaft just an idea. As far as horse power depending on how much boost you should be able to turn your tires with ease probably around 80 to 100 horse power over stock. If the super charger is good make shore it is tuned good if not YOU WILL BLOW IT UP.
Ive told him about just taking it and tuning it anyways,... He doesnt seem to care.. but about a half hour ago i had him start it and we took a 1/2 breaker bar and put the head of it on the impeller side of the housing and listened through the handle.- it sounds nasty inside, it sounds like the bearings are graveling or the impeller scraping the housing..

As far as the boost- its running just bolt on boost im sure, and it wont spin the tires that easily and they are stock size tires.. he has to rev it up and kinda dump/ slip the clutch in first for the tires to spin, and then they do, but only minimaly bark going into second.. sounds like something is wrong to me.. those cars do more than that stock..
indirocz28 is offline  
Old 03-27-2007, 10:11 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
chevytuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
Ive told him about just taking it and tuning it anyways,... He doesnt seem to care.. but about a half hour ago i had him start it and we took a 1/2 breaker bar and put the head of it on the impeller side of the housing and listened through the handle.- it sounds nasty inside, it sounds like the bearings are graveling or the impeller scraping the housing..

As far as the boost- its running just bolt on boost im sure, and it wont spin the tires that easily and they are stock size tires.. he has to rev it up and kinda dump/ slip the clutch in first for the tires to spin, and then they do, but only minimaly bark going into second.. sounds like something is wrong to me.. those cars do more than that stock..
He should be side ways in 3 rd gear. He does have problems some where.
chevytuned is offline  
Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
chevytuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by chevytuned View Post
He should be side ways in 3 rd gear. He does have problems some where.
Also check all vacume lines I had one split on me and it was like loosing 150 hp.
chevytuned is offline  
Old 03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by chevytuned View Post
Also check all vacume lines I had one split on me and it was like loosing 150 hp.
Ok- thanks both of you, I'll have to check those..

I took the intake tube off of it today and the belt and checked the impeller and stuff, it had no free play whatso ever, the noise is just the backlash of the gears b/c they are straight cut. I called vortech and they said that the
V1 is the loudest blower b/c of the gear cut.

I'll continue to update..
indirocz28 is offline  
Old 03-29-2007, 09:18 PM
  #12  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
ok- i have an update, - Like i said- the supercharger appears to be fine, checked for any vaccum leaks and did not find any.

However on a test drive earlier we got out the MSD retard **** and dropped it down from 1 1/2* retard per lb/boost to 1*. The car immediately seemed to get more powerful. So, what im thinking is - the computer either has no tune at all, so the timing retard is set up in a " safe" range, or - the computer has a safe/conservative tune on it to keep from blowing it up since it is only running on stock injectors?...

Any opinions?
thanks
indirocz28 is offline  
Old 03-30-2007, 08:01 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
chevytuned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by indirocz28 View Post
ok- i have an update, - Like i said- the supercharger appears to be fine, checked for any vaccum leaks and did not find any.

However on a test drive earlier we got out the MSD retard **** and dropped it down from 1 1/2* retard per lb/boost to 1*. The car immediately seemed to get more powerful. So, what im thinking is - the computer either has no tune at all, so the timing retard is set up in a " safe" range, or - the computer has a safe/conservative tune on it to keep from blowing it up since it is only running on stock injectors?...

Any opinions?
thanks
That seems like a good place to start If you are getting detonation that will cause the timing to be off and loose power. Do you have a presure gauge you should be around 45 psi the stock inj. may be fine under low boost also do you have a bigger pump or 2 pumps? also check your cats if they are backed up you will loose alot of power their I dont know if you allready did that or not but its a good thing to do first. Jason
chevytuned is offline  
Old 03-30-2007, 05:33 PM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by chevytuned View Post
That seems like a good place to start If you are getting detonation that will cause the timing to be off and loose power. Do you have a presure gauge you should be around 45 psi the stock inj. may be fine under low boost also do you have a bigger pump or 2 pumps? also check your cats if they are backed up you will loose alot of power their I dont know if you allready did that or not but its a good thing to do first. Jason
The car has i think stock intank pump, and the vortech booster pump.

It only has 1 cat, but i suppose we could check it, although it doesnt sound clogged or anything and the car's exhaust seems to flow free...

Im pretty sure that the computer doesnt have a tune on it so the timing is retarded and they are just expecting that vortech FMU to make up for it?
But i am confident that going w/ larger injectors and a dyno tune will wake this thing up- alot...
indirocz28 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
onefastgta
Parts For Sale
7
03-19-2015 10:10 AM
FIREBIRDMARK1
LT1 Based Engine Tech
2
01-07-2015 03:36 PM
liamcg97
LT1 Based Engine Tech
16
12-27-2014 08:27 PM
ModdedNerd
General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
10
12-10-2014 08:42 PM
squarehead
General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech
0
11-21-2014 08:02 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 M6 LT1 T/A with Vortech V1 charger- clackin/rattling noise from charger unit???


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.