Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

My exhaust leak has lasted long enough (buying parts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM

My exhaust leak has lasted long enough (buying parts)

Im thinking coated pacesetter headers (asumeing most all headers are the same) http://store.summitracing.com/partde...275+4294799365 Would these be fine, also everything I need is right there correct? Gaskets etc.

Im definently buying a new exhaust my leak is getting terrable, and I have the money. Also, is 2.5inch over the axles a good size for true duals. Im debateing on what mufflers to get, a couple people have recommended sweet rumble.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Those are decent headers and from what I have heard, they started supplying copper gaskets with them. They also come with the bolts and the wiring to cut/splice/lengthen your 02 sensor wiring harnesses. Personally, I wouldn't go that route and I would just buy the 02 extension harnesses for about twenty bucks a piece. And yes, a 2.5 inch true dual system will be more then adequate.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:35 PM

The copper gaskets are a perfect fit and better than most other brands. I bought the flange copper gaskets for 12.00 on Ebay because the paper ones looks like garbage. You also need some copper sealent and if your cat is welded like mine you will need to modify that. I bought 2 new AC Delco 02 senors for $28 each and will install them in 500-1000 miles so the coating has time to burn off and not foul brand new ones. Also a can of PB Blaster so you can let all the bolts soak overnight. A good get of extensions and swivel sockets. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2007, 01:53 PM

Im a little confused about the O2 sensors, what exactly is the problem? Do I need to relocate them or what? What part would I need? Im still on the muffler(s) debate, I know I don't want magnaflow I do not like that sound.

EDIT: im asumeing the extension is needed because the O2 sensor(s?) are in the exhaust pipe rather then the header, and because the headers are longer you need a longer wire.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:13 PM

the O2's are moved farther down the exhaust path. They are in the collectors. That's why you'll ned the extensions.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by fasteddie94
the O2's are moved farther down the exhaust path. They are in the collectors. That's why you'll ned the extensions.
The collectors are the end of the headers where all 4 tubes come together Correct, also are them headers already, ready for the O2's to just screw in?
Old 03-11-2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
The collectors are the end of the headers where all 4 tubes come together Correct, also are them headers already, ready for the O2's to just screw in?
Yes, the Pacesetters have 02 bungs so the sensor will thread right in.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Yes, the Pacesetters have 02 bungs so the sensor will thread right in.
Thanks, I looked at the photo, and read about the discription, but i could not find it.
Also I heard X pipes flow better than just staught pipe, is this true? Should I buy an X pipe?

Also should I buy some stage 8 locking header bolts?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Last edited by bombebomb; 03-11-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:26 PM

I'm sure the gains between the x-pipe and straight pipes will be negligble on a street car. As for the locking bolts, they would be a wise investment as the standard bolts seem to back out alot.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Theres 1 O2 sensor in each header correct? Also still looking for recommendation on the mufflers. I believe ill also be buying cutouts.

Last edited by bombebomb; 03-12-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM

What do you guys think about these? Are they to lound or are they good? I might just dump them at the axle.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 03-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by bombebomb
Theres 1 O2 sensor in each header correct? Also still looking for recommendation on the mufflers. I believe ill also be buying cutouts.
Yes, one sensor per header.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Anyone tryed them mufflers?
Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM

alright, having just done headers and 2.5" duals march 10th, i will tell u my experience

pacesetters come with copper gaskets, use them, i bought some felpros, and ended up giving them to the guy i sold my stock manifolds to

Pacesetters come with bolts, i used the ones that came with them

definately buy the o2 extensions, i cut and splice mine without any problems, but it was kind of a PITA. also, if u cut and splice them, buy the heat sleeves that u can put over the wires after there together.

the summit x-pipe kit works perfect, i had no problems

be sure to buy the flowmaster 3" to 2 1/2" slip on reducers ($22 i believe)
buy the 3" lap-joint band clamps
buy summit universal exhaust hangers

I would go to autozone or some place and buy some BLACK high-temp paint, this will help hide your exhaust so people dont ask you as frequently about it, as well as help protect everyting from weathering. Be sure the paint has ceramic in it (i.e. dupont high temp engine paint with ceramic chips from oreillys)

If you are buying emissions headers and plugging it up, be sure to go to a hardware store and buy 2 5/8" caps for the AIR fittings to block them, and buy a EGR blockoff plate set.

I soaked my header bolts with PB blaster every night for 4 nights before i started on it, and they came out like butter.

I would also recommend poly motor mounts, as your driverside collector will be extremely close to your floorboard.

I used moroso spiral flow mufflers, and love the sound and have had many compliments, but if i were to do it all over, i would get the flowmaster delta-series mufflers for like $75/each or so, they are much deeper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfCYW8HH6bw
Old 03-27-2007, 05:09 PM

Woah, Thank you very nice and detailed. With that being said I think im going to buy this X pipe kit http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku and run 3inch to the axle. Still not sure on the muffler.

Quick Reply: My exhaust leak has lasted long enough (buying parts)