Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Are two cats necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM

Are two cats necessary?

'96 Z28. Hooker LT headers w/ Hooker catback, no cats. Lots of other mods 1.6rr, cc306, port & polished heads, cai intake, throttle body, MSD 6AL...etc.

I have gotten a bit older and cannot stand the smell of the no cat exhaust setup and am looking change that. What are the performance implications of a single high flow cat instead of two? (half the flow! haha) Will it actually be noticeably driving around?

Rear o2s are already programmed out.

Also is https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-94109/overview/ the "CarSound" catalytic converter people commonly refer to on here?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:02 AM

Re: Are two cats necessary?

From what I have found from further research it sounds like two are needed due to proximity to the headers. That being to do a single cat would put it too far back on the exhaust and jeopardize the cats ability to heat up to temp for it it properly do its job.

Now I need to find a cat that is small enough to fit the driver's side with the good old Eibach Proline Springs (~1.5" drop I believe). M6 is hanging out down there too.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:30 PM

Re: Are two cats necessary?

It would probably better to put two high flow cats .But you also need to check with emission rules of your state. And whether you have to have a visual inspection as well.