Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

Flowtech for $200, to buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Yeah thats what I was thinking too. Cause the brand new ones wont come with an y-pipe.

But if I purchased the new flowtech, I should be able to install that with the stock y-pipe on my car right?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:58 PM

longtubes and a stock Ypipe is like square peg and a round hole

not gonna happen.

you have to have a ypipe designed for LTs
Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 PM

Oh man okay thanks bro. Now that changes everything. So it looks like what ever I'm going to buy, I would need to make sure that I get a y-pipe withit.

Looks like the hookers are out of the question cause it will not come with a y-pipe price on that is $265 used

-New Flowtech longtubes are out of the question thats selling for $225
-Pacesetter racer headers selling for $170 shipped but uncoated out of the question.

So it looks bang for the buck will be the flowtech longtubes with y-pipe for $200.

Someone also offered me mac-mids with y-pipe for $300 shipped.

So compared to mac-mids and flowtech, which ones would you get? Or should I say which one do you think is better?
Old 11-02-2006, 07:50 PM

You're putting headers on a California car?

If so, I'd get which ever one is easiest to switch out with stock manifolds when inspection time rolls around.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 AM

oh...yeah...good catch Greed

mids and long tube headers are both illegal for use in cali (technically in all states) since it moves the stock cat location.

you may pass sniff test if you put in cats...but no visual inspection will fly (without propper bribbing).

as for the question of mids/LTs...

2 things to consider...future upgrades and ground clearance.

if you are planning on keeping the car bolt ons only...you would be fine with either setup. mids have been shown to be almost as good as LTs in all but the highest rpm range. now this is on lower hp engines.
now if you plan to do a cam or h/c...the added flow (particularly in the upper rpm range) will benefit you to run LTs.

LTs will cut down your ground clearance to some extent. how much will depend on the design/brand of header and ypipe. my flowtechs tuck up very nicely, have yet to scrape the collector on anything. and when i had the ypipe on i don't recall ever scrapping it either (stock height). i currently have true duals...and only on a few speed bumps around town does it scrape..and barely at that. the advantage of the flowtechs is that the ypipe is "clearanced" around the frame. it allows for a much tighter fit under the car. i think i still have pics on my cardomain site...page 2. not all ypipes that i have seen do this.

on a side note....VERY IMPORTANT!!!
do yourself a favor and buy some prothane motor mount bushings, and install them when the manifolds are off and before the headers go in. it is 100x easier with those out of the way. took me nearly 10hrs to change mounts when the manifolds were in the car...and i highly doubt it is possible with LTs on the car. but with them totally off the car...doubt it's more than a 30 min job.
the engine will barely move in the engine bay, reducing the flex of the exhaust pipes...and nearly eliminating any clearance issues. my original setup had 1/2" of space between the exhaust (where the cats would be) and the frame...under load the exhaust would rotate up and hit the frame. installed the mounts...and i've had the exhaust 1/4" away and have yet to have it hit the frame under load...the pipes barely move.

$50 well worth it
Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 PM

Listen to what Teke said about the prothane motor mounts, when the manifolds are off and BEFORE headers go on do yourself a favor and change them out.They are a little time consuming, but not too bad ,especially if you have someone helping you! As far as the choices you have for headers, if your budget only allows for so much, I think the flowtechs with the y-pipe sounds pretty good. Remember you only have to make yourself happy with what ever you decide to buy! Good luck with your car!
Old 11-04-2006, 12:05 AM

hellyeah...us south florida boys stick together...

Old 11-04-2006, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by teke184
basically go with the ones your budget allows for.

i think the headers and ypipe combo is hard to pass up.
Agreed, even if the headers do leak, you still keep a Y-Pipe you can attach new headers to... Thats a HUGE savings IMHO
Old 11-05-2006, 06:37 AM

If you live in California forget about longtubes, you will need to go with shorties and your OEM y-pipe. You will not pass a visual inspection and they will hear you coming. JMHO
Old 11-06-2006, 11:32 AM

What do you guys think about buying a set of uncoated pacesetter longtubes and coated ory for $200? They are described as "Pacesetter 1 3/4" off-road headers with 3" collectors"

Now since they are uncoated but they are pacesetters do you think thats a better deal then the coated flowtech and ory for $200?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM

i think you're better off with the coated headers...
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 AM

I haven't gotten the chance to get the flowtech headers but ran into another great deal. Mac-mids with ory for $200 shipped brand new. What do you guys think? Need help, got to decide in 2 days!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:11 AM

to the top guys, new mac-mids with ory or used for 10k flowtech longtubes with ory?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:30 PM

Get the LT's , you will get the most performance gain from these as well and the price seems really good>
Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 PM

Actually the price on the mac-mids might go down to $150, do you still think I should get the LTs?

Quick Reply: Flowtech for $200, to buy or not to buy?