East South Central Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee

Sales tax in Georgia?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:05 PM

Question Sales tax in Georgia?

What are the sales tax rates in Georgia? I might be moving, and my GF is planning on buying a car. Tax up here is %5 so if its cheaper, we can wait and buy the car when we get there

Are all counties the same?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:08 PM

6% statewide
Old 08-07-2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Spinner
6% statewide
Thanks! Does this apply to cars too?
Old 08-07-2003, 10:37 PM

Applies to everything but food (3% i think) and labor (not taxable)
Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 AM

Thanks!

Guess we'll find a car before we go down, if we go I wont regret not waiting
Old 08-08-2003, 12:05 PM

Don't know where in Georgia you're headed to, but if it's anywhere near the South Carolina state line you might consider buying a car here. Sales tax on vehicles has a $300 cap. It's the yearly "personal property tax" that kills you. But you wouldn't have to worry about that in Georgia.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Raptor1
Don't know where in Georgia you're headed to, but if it's anywhere near the South Carolina state line you might consider buying a car here. Sales tax on vehicles has a $300 cap. It's the yearly "personal property tax" that kills you. But you wouldn't have to worry about that in Georgia.
I dont know if Georgia works like Mass, but in Mass you pay tax when you register the car and get the plates.

Tax in Mass is %5 period.... $20k car, tax is $1000
Old 08-08-2003, 10:10 PM

GA plates are $20. You pay ad velorum (sp?) tax yearly on the value of the vehicle. Right now it's around 3.1%. You pay that when you renew your tag, but NOT the first year.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:21 PM

Greg...I moved to Georgia last year too. I am pretty sure Georgia caps the sales tax at 500 dollars for a vehicle while SC is 300 dollars. You would have to check it out...they do have ad valorum tax which is what we called excise tax in the north so that isn't much different. Depending on what you are after for a car the best thing is you can find extremely rust free examples of nearly anything. Where are you moving in Georgia?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by bpm2k
Greg...I moved to Georgia last year too. I am pretty sure Georgia caps the sales tax at 500 dollars for a vehicle while SC is 300 dollars. You would have to check it out...they do have ad valorum tax which is what we called excise tax in the north so that isn't much different. Depending on what you are after for a car the best thing is you can find extremely rust free examples of nearly anything. Where are you moving in Georgia?
Yea, i tried to find more info but i couldn't find anything.

Not sure where I'd be moving too yet. Were going to look around Peachtree City though. I'd be working RIGHT downtown, but I want to live outside the beltline.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:05 PM

The beltline has expanded dramatically. The bypass that used to avoid downtown Atlanta has almost become part of it. It is a BOOMING area with a lot of jobs but the cost of living is high for Georgia. Compared to the Boston area however it would still be considered dirt cheap!
Old 08-17-2003, 10:02 AM

I think metro Atlanta is one of the least expensive areas to live in.....housing,utilities and gas prices are among the cheapest anywhere. My brother is moving to northeast Virginia and he said the house he is buying there is $100,000 more than a house of the same size and in a similar demographic area here in metro Atlanta.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:06 AM

Greg...compared to the rest of Georgia...Atlanta is expensive....compared to other areas of the country...including where the original poster is from....it is dirt cheap.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by bpm2k
Greg...compared to the rest of Georgia...Atlanta is expensive....compared to other areas of the country...including where the original poster is from....it is dirt cheap.
Agreed....housing and rents are much higher inside the loop and decrease the further you get out . Peachtree City is very nice and expensive when compared with like properties just 20-30 miles further south.

Anyway check out the GaFBA if you havnt allready.....we are having a Shootout at Silver Dollar Raceway in oct....great event to come too and meet some members and run your car....details will be on the web sight soon.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:56 AM

Thanks Greg!

The problem is that I'm going to be working litterally right downtown Atlanta. We were hoping to rent for $1000/mo 1yr lease with a buy clause, and then look to buy. Hopefully we can find that ~30 miles out of Atlanta.

Quick Reply: Sales tax in Georgia?