Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Would the bolt being on the clutch fork t swivel thing cause the chattering i hear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Would the bolt being on the clutch fork t swivel thing cause the chattering i hear?

I just installed my rebuilt t56 and clutch and my dumbass forgot to tighten the clutch fork bolt to the tranny. I specifically remember it being a bit loose.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Re: Would the bolt being on the clutch fork t swivel thing cause the chattering i hea

Loose bolts are never a good thing. Let's use some common sense here.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 PM

Re: Would the bolt being on the clutch fork t swivel thing cause the chattering i hea

I have common sense, it was a mistake lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:28 PM

Didn't really answer my question though. Would that be causing the chattering?
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM

I didn't apply loctite to that bolt when I installed it. I never got any noise from it but it did vibrate loose and caused a failure. I suggest you drop the tranny and loctite/torque down the bolt.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:30 PM

Im pretty sure I can get it without dropping the tranny again. I literally just got the damn thing bolted up last night..
Old 09-22-2012, 05:35 PM

"Measure twice, cut once." Usually when I have a transmission out of the car, I torque every last bolt/nut to factory specs even if I don't torque any other bolt on the car. It saves you hours of headache to check and double check behind yourself so that in the future you'll never encounter this issue again. And yes, I'm fairly certain that the chattering you're experiencing is likely do to that loose bolt.

Hope you get it figured out!
Old 09-23-2012, 04:18 AM

I don't think it would causes chattering or shuddering on clutch engagement from a dead stop....that's almost always a screwed up flywheel surface.

If the bolt is loose I guess we can't be sure it wouldn't cause this but I would think all the cleances would be taken up by the clutch springs or the hydraulic system....
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 AM

You must have hands the size of a child if you can get that bolt out without removing the tranny. I cannot get to it for the life of me. Years ago, my buddy snapped the fork in half and I had to get in there to see what was damaged and I thought I could just inspect it though the small opening on the side of the bellhousing but I was wrong. I had to pull the trans. Do what you need to do to get the bolt out to apply the correct Loctite to it. Just make damn sure that you push the fork up onto T shaped pivot or else you will be banging your head on the wall!