Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Whats wrong with my tranny!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 06:07 PM

Whats wrong with my tranny!?!?!

Ok i just put my engine in a couple days ago along with a new Fidanza flywheel and a new Spec 3 clutch. Now that we got everything started the motor works fine but the tranny is all messed up! 1st gear is fine, 2nd gear i have to JAM it in sometimes or it will grind a little and kick out. 3rd gear is fine. 4th with scratch EVERYTIME i put it in. 5th gear is fine. 6th gear is fine sometimes as it will make a little grinding/scratching noise. Now when i go in reverse sometimes it will bang the whole car and seems like it kicked out of gear but is still in reverse.

At high RPM's (above 5k) the clutch will slip in 4th,5th, and 6th.

Now before all this started happening, and when we first got the motor started the clutch fork wasnt all the way engage and was grinding against the pressure plate. It was stuck so we got that unstuck and put it back in the TO bearing. The clutch fork seems like it has LOTS of play in it, like i can wiggle it back and fork about 1/2-3/4 inch.

What is going wrong here? I dont know if the syncros are going out and thats why its grinding in 4th? Seams like i got an input shaft seal leak so dont know if the fluid is causing it to slip? Dont know if the TO bearing is messed up and not engaging into 2nd and other gears? HELP PLEASE!! I really dont look forward in buying a new tranny and clutch.