Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

vig stall converter and pump mod??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:34 PM

vig stall converter and pump mod??

I am picking up a used vig converter.I was reading something on their site about some mod to pump or something and something about red spring.
Anyone know what this is talking about? Do I need to get this spring from vig.Is this mod necessary on our 460s.I am buying this for my 96 z.

Also if the converter is used it shouldn't need any break in when reinstalled right?
Old 10-08-2004, 05:54 AM

Re: vig stall converter and pump mod??

When running a Vigilante lockup torque converter, you will need to remove the checkball & capsule from the input shaft to make the lockup clutch (single disc) work properly. Make sure you install a new O-ring on the input shaft.

Last edited by Pro Built Automatics; 04-06-2005 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:23 PM

I read that in the instruction manual for my Vig. It seems to me like it wasnt necessary for some reason but I cant remember exactly why.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:25 PM

Found out why...the book says it is optional

http://www.converter.com/book_700r4.htm
Old 10-08-2004, 10:25 PM

I've wondered about this myself. I didn't remove anything like this when I installed my vig. converter and haven't had any problems that I know of. The converter still locks up just fine from what I can tell. One thing I don't like is under WOT at about the top of 2nd I can feel the converter slipping too much for my tastes. Eventuall before the shift it finally slowly grabs again then after it hits 3rd it's just fine. The car still accelerates just not as "forcefully" as when the converter isn't slipping. We inspected the entire tranny when installing the trans-go at the same time and all the clutches are in great shape so i know it isn't that type of problem. I can tell it's the converter. Does this have anything to do with it. If not, anyone have any ideas for me what it may be, or is it normal.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:42 AM

Wow, my car seems to be doing the exact same thing...installed the Vig2800 and Trans-go at the same time (along with a new 383!) and it seems to slip at the top of 2nd at WOT...had no idea which of the changes caused it. The TC is at the manufacturer being checked out as we speak, and I'll call and ask them about this today. It does seem to have been getting better as time went on, so maybe it's just a break-in issue.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:01 PM

I recently ordered a vig 2800 and a tranny from Pro-built Automatics. I read through the vig booklet and was confused by the checkball issue. Dana at Pro-Built informed me this option was if you has a multi-disc converter.

Hope that helps
Old 10-19-2004, 08:48 AM

I spoke to Precision Industries yesterday. They got a chance to look at my converter and said it was not engaging the crank enough and added some length (.100") to it. Between that and my flexplate being 22g out of balance, I'm hoping that resolves my vibration issue.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stormman
I recently ordered a vig 2800 and a tranny from Pro-built Automatics. I read through the vig booklet and was confused by the checkball issue. Dana at Pro-Built informed me this option was if you has a multi-disc converter.

Hope that helps
OK, now I am concerned! I read that too and assumed that I had a multi-disc converter. How can you tell is there a Part number or anything? Mine is a 3500 stall. Don't mean to hyjack the post, just curious.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:56 AM

I spoke to my trans builder and he said he thought all of the Vig converters for the 4L60E's were muilti-disc, he has taken a few apart and has seen how well the were made, and that is why he recommended the vig to me.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:30 PM

I've got a 4L60E version Vigilante 2800 and since I'll be putting mine back in the car tomorrow, I just got off the phone with Vicki at Precision Industries. She confirmed mine is NOT a multi-disk, so I don't have to worry about this mod. I'd suggest if you're in doubt about what you have, give them a call and they can probably look it up. The number is (901) 466-0267, or go to www.converter.com for more info.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:10 PM

Thanks, I just called them myself, and they said unless you paid > $900 for the converter, because I didn't have the serial # here at work, that it is a single disc. They said that they wouldn't recommend removal of the check ball on the single disc, but if you already have, it would result in a very hard/harsh lockup of the converter. They also told me that sometimes people don't mind the lockup being hard, but you don't know until you try it, and then if you don't like it you have to remove the trans again.

Who is running a $700ish vig an run with the check ball removed?
How hard/harsh is the lockup?
What type of damage could a hard lockup cause to the trans?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by 1SlowFormula
Thanks, I just called them myself, and they said unless you paid > $900 for the converter, because I didn't have the serial # here at work, that it is a single disc. They said that they wouldn't recommend removal of the check ball on the single disc, but if you already have, it would result in a very hard/harsh lockup of the converter. They also told me that sometimes people don't mind the lockup being hard, but you don't know until you try it, and then if you don't like it you have to remove the trans again.

Who is running a $700ish vig an run with the check ball removed?
How hard/harsh is the lockup?
What type of damage could a hard lockup cause to the trans?
ttt
Old 04-06-2005, 07:44 AM

Wow, you brought that back from the dead now haven't you!

I will give an update to the questions I asked in that last post of mine!
I installed it per PI's recommendation, with the check ball left in.

Lock-up is very positive, my wife thougth it was shifting into another gear.. She's so cute when it comes to these things.

But after feeling it with the check ball in, I am going to assume that PI's warning of damage to the clutches would be accurate, over time!

Hope that helps!
Old 04-06-2005, 10:53 AM

Thanks, This just came in from RI, "The check ball is there from the factory to cushion lockup, we are not
interested in having lockup come on slow, we'd like the converter to lockup
right away. So go ahead as long as you have the engine out and remove the
check ball.
Precision Industries"
I have the motor out right now, and am seriously thinking of doing this as I barely drive the car much.

Quick Reply: vig stall converter and pump mod??