Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Vacuum modulated 4L60E question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 08:37 PM

Vacuum modulated 4L60E question

I currently have a FLP built Stage IV 4L60E in my car. It's slipping, so it needs to come out for a rebuild. One of the mods FLP does is they add on a vacuum modulator.

Until I save enough money to get the trans built, I am swapping in a stock 4L60E that I will be picking up in the next couple days. I will put a Trans Go shift kit in this one before it goes in the car.

My friend says that I may not be able to use this trans though, because it has no modulator. I was under the impression that all the mods were exclusive to the trans, and I would be able to use this one as long as I plug the t fitting under the hood where the modulator line meets the brake booster hose.

Anybody have any clue if I'm going to run into trouble or not?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:55 PM

Re: Vacuum modulated 4L60E question

You will need the vacuum modulator from Trans-Go. You can install this at the same time you install the Trans-Go Performance Shift kit. Which torque converter are you going to use with this setup? If you already have the Shift kit, then I can help with the necessary modifications, if not I carry the "modified" Trans-Go Performance Shift kit & modulator. Let me know?
Old 08-15-2004, 08:56 PM

as long as your puter is still able to control the tranny you will be fine.. DId you ditch your a4 pcm for that other swap? or is there someway the puter still has its finger's in the tranny on the flp one? it should work fine.. just plug the vac. line!
Old 08-15-2004, 09:05 PM

No, I am using the stock ECM, although it has been tuned. I don't think he did anything that would affect the trans, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
You will need the vacuum modulator from Trans-Go. You can install this at the same time you install the Trans-Go Performance Shift kit. Which torque converter are you going to use with this setup? If you already have the Shift kit, then I can help with the necessary modifications, if not I carry the "modified" Trans-Go Performance Shift kit & modulator. Let me know?

I'm going to pull my pan and take a look at the trans fluid. If it looks ok then I'll just use the Coan I am using now. If it looks bad then I may get the Vigilante from the guy I'm getting the trans from.

How much for the shift kit and modulator? I didn't buy anything yet. What's the difference between your "modified" kit and the regular shift kit?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:20 PM

No need to move the modulator... In your FLP tranny they have installed an "resistor" to fool your computer to belive that its controlling the line pressure when its the vacuum modulator that do it.....

If you install youre new tranny the pcm will controll the pressure if you havent deleted that function in your pcm wich is no need beacuse the resistor takes care of the pcm when you use the modulator setup....

The resistor should be placed inside the tranny on the same side as the dipstick and about 1inch infront of the modulator....
Old 08-16-2004, 01:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I tried asking FLP a couple times when I had the trans built what mods they do, but they really wouldn't tell me much at all. I guess they want to keep it a secret so that there's less competition.