Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Transmission stuck in third. Need fixed for work

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM

Transmission stuck in third. Need fixed for work

I have a Borg Warner 5 speed in my car and just recently it started acting weird. A few days ago on a really cold morning it stuck in 5th and I had to muscle it out then immediately after it started grinding a little going into 3rd and 4th. My friend said I need a new slave cylinder, but today I went to take the car out and it was shifting fine till I hit 3rd and now it's STUCK. I can get it just out of gear, but its like jammed in the 3rd gear slot. I have no idea whats wrong and really need help as this is my only transportation to work. I'll be working on it so I won't be able to check any responces. My cell is 321-258-5159 and my name is Joe. Please if you have any idea what it could be give me a call
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM

If you shut the car off, will it shift out of gear? If so, you have a clutch issue (adjustment...etc)....otherwise, I see a trans rebuild in your near future.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:17 PM

It comes out of gear when running and off, but the shifter is stuck in the 3rd gear position
Old 02-06-2009, 04:42 PM

I guess I misunderstood. Not sure what you have going on because I don't understand what you are asking. So you can't physically move out of third but it comes out of third on its own? Or you can pull on the shifter until it comes out of gear but not completely into neutral. Does it do the same whether your car is running?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:16 PM

It comes out of third but not fully into neutral. It's like that running or off.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 PM

sounds like a trans rebuild time. Mine did the "i get stuck/don't want to go it". The only way I could get it in or out was to bounce the clutch while I was thing to move the shifter, else it would not do crap in 3rd, 4th, 5th, or reverse. It would not go into any of them, or if I got them in, it would not come out, without a clutch bounce. Talked to a guy and he said something along the lines of the syncros in the trans have died.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 PM

FIXED! Pulled the shift tower out and messes around with everything doing little touch ups here and there. It was still hard to shift and got stuck in second at first, but I nailed it and popped the clutch and now it doesn't stick anymore.

Now all I have to do is find out why it grinds a little in 3rd and 4th when driving around. My friends say it's the clutch slave cylinder. Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHeadJoe
FIXED! Pulled the shift tower out and messes around with everything doing little touch ups here and there. It was still hard to shift and got stuck in second at first, but I nailed it and popped the clutch and now it doesn't stick anymore.

Now all I have to do is find out why it grinds a little in 3rd and 4th when driving around. My friends say it's the clutch slave cylinder. Any ideas?
If it was the clutch slave it would do it all of the time, since it would be an issue of it not fully disengaging the clutch. Which would do it in all gears. I am betting that it is a syncro issue in the transmission.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM

So how would I go about fixing this synchro problem? I have to rip apart the transmission don't I? Well how much would that run me cause I can get another Borg warner for $200 and a World class brand new for $700?
Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 AM

whre are you getting a WC for 700. I would love to know. since I need to get mine done as well. Depending on who you go through depends on the costs. for a full rebuild on my t5 with a few upgrades was going to run me 450. For just the synchros probably looking at about the cost of that borg warner. about 200 or something like that. depending on if that is the only thing and how much it costs in labor. Or if you can do it yourself.. you can get a master rebuild for like 200 or 250 or something.