Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

trans rebuild needed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM

trans rebuild needed ?

The car is an auto, it revs up to about 4800 to 5k before shifting into second, and has no accelleration through first... I mean NONE!. Then it changes to 2nd and takes off, but as soon as it has to accell from a stop I lose all power and it does the rev thing again. Other day it began to give white smoke real bad and it was every where and she had no power at all, I had to turn off the AC to get to 15mph and limped the last half mile home. The oil was just changed, but I could definitely hear something wrong from inside the car, as if it was under the center /ebrake, like something in there was breaking off/apart. I started her up today and engaged reverse and then shifted it into OD and it took off very slowly again and I pulled back into the driveway.. Could the fuel filter and pump need to be changed as well. What caused the smoke, I definitely think the tranny is gone through first. I fear I have a bearing issue, is there another fix besides a new tranny? I recently changed the oil to valvo vr1 20w50 due to a low oil pressure issue. Pressure seems okay but the car began failing while on the test run after the oil change. Any suggestions... Could the power loss be a fuel(pump or filter) issue or coil it really spoked up and when I parked it smoke was coming from the trans area under the car. It was almost smog like in thickness. The engine still seems strong, but I did see some metal shavings in the oil filter. Not sure if this is from the last motor rebuild or fresh, looked pretty shiny though.