Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

trans mount?clutch?wtf?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 11:04 PM

trans mount?clutch?wtf?????

my car, a 94z with 52k miles M6 , has a weird sound when ever i shift gears or even accelering its lke a shakky sound i thought it might me the trans mount but how do u know its bad?
also when i shift the trany kicks or at least feels like it.
i really want my car to be quiet inside and LOUD outside, please help.(btw i got a pro 5.0 shifter)
Old 11-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

3 Things....

First Check to see if your exhaust pipe hitting up against your driveshaft.

Second...While your under your car pull the Driveshaft out and check for any broken U-joints

Thirdly...there's no real way to check to see if your Tranny mounts broken or not without removing it...best to just buy a Urethane replacement and install it. Easy to do...but you need to have something hold the weight of the Transmission.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:59 AM

A jack and a block of wood works pretty good for supporting the tranny while you're swapping in the poly mount. Also, check your exhaust system for loose pipes. If you didn't weld the system together, the transmission may be vibrating enough to make the exhaust pipes vibrate against each other especially where the y pipe meets the cat back. I had that problem for the first 10 minutes that my catback and mac exhaust were installed, then I made the guy doing the install weld every thing together on his time.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:02 AM

isnt a urethane mount gonna make it even louder?
how do i pull the driveshaft?
Old 11-19-2003, 10:09 PM

I've heard that a urethane mount will make an automatic tranny vibrate a tad bit more than a stock rubber mount. On my 6 speed, it made the shifter stop doing the two inch wobble, but I haven't noticed any more vibrations than normal out of it. I say go for the urethane mount, you won't be sorry. Also, if you're going to replace the tranny mount, go ahead and invest another $12 bucks for a torque arm bushing and replace it as well.

You might want to invest in a good chilton or hayes manual, but here's how to take out that driveshaft.

To pull the drive shaft, you'll have to get the car into the air and support it so it doesn't fall on your head. Get a pan to catch any fluid that will leak out of the tail shaft of the tranny. On the back of the driveshaft (the end that bolts to the rearend) there should be four bolts holding two U shaped connectors. Remove the four bolts and the connectors and gently pry the driveshaft away from the rearend with a screw driver and be careful so you don't mess up the caps. Pull the shaft out of the transmission it's out. Reinstall in reverse order.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:19 PM

I have the same noise... It sounds like the tranni is jumping on a bare crossmember. but no shifter vibration.. well anyway I know what your talking about.. Check your torque arm MOUNT, the rubber peices.. Sometimes they rip and they make the torque arm loose but still hold it in place.. I got a poly mount and im going to install it tomorrow and ill let you know if it stops it..
Old 12-02-2003, 05:49 PM

What tunnel brace thing you talking about?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:25 PM

still doesnt ring a bell. i thought i knew the bottom of my car be heart too..hmmm???
Old 12-02-2003, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by CoUnTryMuZiCZ28
still doesnt ring a bell. i thought i knew the bottom of my car be heart too..hmmm???
Look behind your tranny output.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 AM

Originally posted by 95Blackhawk
Look behind your tranny output.
The brace is where your y-pipe meets the I-pipe. When looking under the car there are 2 nearly identical looking pieces different in size, trans cross-member being the larger and the smaller driveshaft tunnel brace maybe less than a foot behind it.

The trans mount is a VERY easy thing to replace and probably just worth doing for the heck of it. My transmission would jump a good 1 or so inches when I hit rough bumps in the road. I waited way, way too long to even check it out but when I did my stock mount was cracked on all sides and has a massive hole in the middle. Shifts seemed to be "delayed" I guess you could say when I would powershift during a race or pass at the track (yeah I was at the track on a bad tranny mount). With the prothane mount, there is a night and day difference. I'm not too sure about autos but theres no real noticeable vbibration from the poly mount. I felt it but just barely and after a week, couldnt tell any vibvrations at all.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:07 AM

Ok I put it in... PROBLEM FIXED!!!!!!!! I had to lower the tranni too to get to the top bolt, I couldnt reach it with the tools I have, I losened the crossmember and just lowered it alittle.. I drove to school today for the first time on the new torque arm mount... When I shift the noise is gone! Im so happy! I hated that crap.. It turns out that it wasnt the flex of the old mount, When I took it out I noticed it was really ripped bad!! I kenw it was ripped but not that much, seems that was the problem.. Hope this helps your bro.. Also there was no increase in vibration, the ride feels kinda smoother too, alittle stiffer aswell..

Country
Old 12-05-2003, 10:45 AM

hey nice that u got your problem fixed. im still fighting can u tell me what u did ?step by step and what part and brand did u buy?
thanks a alot
Old 12-05-2003, 02:01 PM

I bought a polyurathane Torque Arm mount from LS1speed.com.. I put that on and now if shifts alot smoother and has a smoother ride and more of a kick to it... Not really a step by step thing, really kinda self explanitory.. Just look at it and youll know what to do.. This thread will explain it all, http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=121847 ::: Mine shifts hard still but doesnt make any kind of noise or clunk.. The poly mount was from energy suspesion (ls1speed.com).. Definatly a pain to put in but easy none the less... LEt me know if you need any more help..

Country

Last edited by CoUnTryMuZiCZ28; 12-05-2003 at 02:03 PM.