Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Tranny staying in first for too long. help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 03:01 PM

Tranny staying in first for too long. help?

Alright, this just started randomly this morning. When I'm driving normally, my car won't shift until around 3000rpm, regardless of the throttle position (if i'm barely hitting the gas it SHOULD shift at ~2000) this is really annoying and a waste of gas. Is my tranny messed up? What should I do?
Old 12-30-2003, 04:58 PM

It could be that your TPS is going bad. Other than that I would suggest that you check the fluid
Old 12-31-2003, 01:44 AM

I got some atf fluid and i'm going to change it tommorow. How much of the gallon does it take? also, if this doesn't help, what are some other things I should look at?
Old 12-31-2003, 04:50 PM

Changed the fluid, no difference. It doesn't upshift when its supposed to, it doesn't downshift when you punch it. And alot of times it stays in the gear, like If slow down to almost stopping like at a stopsign and go again, it will still be in 2nd or 3rd gear. Can anyone help me with this? It doesn't feel like its slipping. If I take off from a dead stop it goes as good as it always did, except for bumping the rev limiter because the stupid tranny won't shift in time. arrrg
Old 12-31-2003, 07:06 PM

Old 12-31-2003, 08:10 PM

Sounds like something electronic. Maybe a sensor somewhere at stated before. Isn't there a sensor on the tranny itself that can cause this too?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Myxtreme1
Sounds like something electronic. Maybe a sensor somewhere at stated before. Isn't there a sensor on the tranny itself that can cause this too?
I'm not sure, but I checked the fluid again after it was warm, and it was kinda low (a little above the "cold" mark) so I put in some more and it seems to downshift when its supposed to and is all around smoother, but it still stays stuck in first gear way too long. Its fun driving like that because if someone tries to race me from a roll i'm still in first at like 40 lol. I'm just worried about any damage I might be doing driving it like this.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:41 PM

Yeah I would be worried too. If you aren't seeing any fluid anywhere try to add some Lucas transmission additive and see what that does.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:34 AM

It's probably your throttle position sensor. Do you have an SES light? If so get it scanned. But I had the same problem with my car and it was the Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:47 AM

I would check the springs in the valve body. On your car they control the shift points. The 1-2 may have gotten streched out
Old 01-01-2004, 07:17 AM

Make sure that the cable going from the TB to the tranny moves freely and hasn't frayed inside the casing. That happened to mine and the transmission acted just like that. Most of these people forget that 93's don't have an electronic transmission but a 700r4/4l60 instead.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:13 PM

DirtyDan
That is what I was going to say. Check your kick down cable. Mine is screwed up right now and it doesn't shift out of 1st very well. If it was me I'd chech the kick down cable
Old 01-01-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by CMANZ28
DirtyDan
That is what I was going to say. Check your kick down cable. Mine is screwed up right now and it doesn't shift out of 1st very well. If it was me I'd chech the kick down cable
Thanks guys, i'll definately look into this.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by DirtyDan
Make sure that the cable going from the TB to the tranny moves freely and hasn't frayed inside the casing. That happened to mine and the transmission acted just like that. Most of these people forget that 93's don't have an electronic transmission but a 700r4/4l60 instead.
never though i'd quote someone named dirtydan. but yea check that
Old 01-02-2004, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by viperkiller
never though i'd quote someone named dirtydan. but yea check that
Alot of people see my name as perverted but it isn't, it comes from growing up around dirt track racing and it was my fathers nickname that was passed down to me.

Quick Reply: Tranny staying in first for too long. help?