Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

torque arm broke and I believe my rear differential is bent

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Exclamation torque arm broke and I believe my rear differential is bent

Title says it all
I believe the rear differential is supposed to be straight up and down but im replacing my torque arm and the bottom of the differential is leaning closer to the front of the car and I dont know if the new/used torque arm will go on.
What do I do?
Is it possible for a auto place to straighten it back up? and if it is, how much might it cost? Thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Re: torque arm broke and I believe my rear differential is bent

The torque arm is what keeps the rear end from twisting. When yours broke the rear end twisted. Just install the new torque arm to the rear end and, when you attach it to the transmission, it will bring the rear end back into alignment.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by rngilliland
The torque arm is what keeps the rear end from twisting. When yours broke the rear end twisted. Just install the new torque arm to the rear end and, when you attach it to the transmission, it will bring the rear end back into alignment.
The problem is when i try and put the torque arm on, the back of the differential is at an angle to where the torque arm wont slide on. The torque arm hits the bottom of the car instead. Is there any way I can get it to its original angle so I can get the torque arm on?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM

Support the car by the frame rails so the rear end can hang free. It shouldn't be hard to twist it enough to attach the torque arm. Use a pry bar if you need to. Or put a jack under the very back of the differential housing, with the rear hanging free, and raise it a little at a time. That should help twist it into position. Don't unhook the shocks or the springs could fall out.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:51 AM

Get the car rolling a little, and yank on the emergency brake. The torque from stopping the rear wheels and axle is one of the torque forces that the torque arm is supposed to counteract. The rear axle in the f-bodies is not as controlled as well as in some of the other GM cars and trucks. My 9C1 Caprice had a 4-link system, with 2 upper and 2 lower control arms, and no panhard rod.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by rngilliland
Support the car by the frame rails so the rear end can hang free. It shouldn't be hard to twist it enough to attach the torque arm. Use a pry bar if you need to. Or put a jack under the very back of the differential housing, with the rear hanging free, and raise it a little at a time. That should help twist it into position. Don't unhook the shocks or the springs could fall out.
Ok my buddy came and helped me out. It didn't make any sense to me but he put the jack under the rear differential and jacked it up till it was at the correct angle. Then the torque arm went right on. Thanks guys!!!