Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Spec clutch problem. grinds when I push the pedal in

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Spec clutch problem. grinds when I push the pedal in

I am runing a SPEC stage 3 clutch (LT1) and I can hear this grinding noise when I push the clutch pedal in and take it out of gear. It also goes it when I start to engage the next gear. it will not do it after the tranny is in gear or out of gear. I can hear when the pedal is pushed to the floor and the the tranny is in N too. its aggervatting me cuz this clutch has about 2K miles onit at the most. OH and it chatters like crazy. it has done it since day one. SOmetimes the chatter is not really bad but other times it is. Same goes for this grinding noise. Now I know of all the issues some guys have had with SPEC clutches and I hope that if it is indeed the clutch, that SPEC will send me another one.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Re: Spec clutch problem. grinds when I push the pedal in

by what your desbibing it sounds like the throwout bearing
Old 03-22-2006, 05:30 PM

ya I was kinda thinking that and I just took the car out again and it isnt doing it now. It does it when it wants to. I wonder if I can look inside the clutch area if I pul the master cylinder assembly off the tranny and remove that extension bracket. maybe I will be able to see something in there. Il let ya all know
Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 PM

might be the fork hitting the pressure plate.. never seen it happen on a spec setup.. but it's possible..
Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 PM

Did you brake in the clutch properly? I had a friend who installed his SPEC stage 3 and drove it about 50 highway miles down to the track, and then raced it. After about his second run, its started acting up severely. If it was not broken in properly, then its probably bad. Also, SPEC's older clutches are not of the same quality as their newer ones, depending on when you purchased it.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:03 PM

That does sound like the clutch fork hitting, it was doing it on mine because the bolt that holds the fork in loosened a bit (it later loosened all the way). Check and see through the slave cylinder opening if any paints been scraped off the pressure plate where the fork would hit it. If, so, see if the bolts loose. If it is, good luck getting it tight enough without taking the tranny out. I ended up JB welding mine in place, That suckers not moving...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:48 PM

Iwill check it this weekend but if it is rubbing, could I just install a few washers on the two long studs that hold the slave cylinder in place? Im guessing that by doing that, it will not allow the fork to be pushed in as far.