Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Really Hot T-56!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:06 AM

Really Hot T-56!

I've been noticing since I did my trans swap, that the T-56's that I have had all seem to run really hot. My hurst shifter gets VERY warm driving around. Is this normal? Has anyone toyed with putting on a tranny cooler? Just curious.

Jonota
Old 09-08-2004, 03:00 PM

Re: Really Hot T-56!

no, that's interesting. i have a BM Ripper but don't notice any heat coming up and it's hot here, like 80-90 F

when you say swap, do you mean from M6 > M6 or A4 > M6?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:20 PM

Did you use automatic transmission fluid in it? If you use gear oil it will get hot like that because it is too thick.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:20 PM

Every once in awhile my shifter gets really warm - has always done it since I've had the car and an aftermarket shifter. Does seem to happen more often (and is hotter) with the Pro5.0; probably because the lower shifter boot had to be cut to fit around the base of the shifter letting the heat radiate from the aluminum base.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:07 AM

I've noticed that with my Pro 5 from time to time... not very common though. oil temp in a tranny is usually proportional to the speed of the input shaft (which turns all the gears regardless of which is actually locked to the output shaft at the time). If you run high rpms you'll heat the tranny... especially on hot humid days in low gears when the case doesn't radiate heat very well and vehicle speed isn't very high.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:58 PM

why would you put a trans cooler on a trans that doesn't pump oil?
Old 09-12-2004, 03:03 PM

You dont need a cooler. There are no clutch pieces, or anything adversely effected by any foreseeable level of heat inside a T56.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:26 AM

Shift fork pads and rubber seals.

But yeah, the only 6-speeds I've heard of that run coolers are the C5R and Viper guys in LeMans... and any other high-speed endurance racer. With an aluminum case, bellhousing, and the size of the T56 I don't belive there'd be any reason for it.

Racers use vesper <sp?> pads for prolonged exposer to heat, and some install an small pump and oil cooler system. This is one of those "race only" set ups that just adds a bunch of weight, cost, and complexity to your car. In daily driving these only serve as potential leaks and hazards.

Same applies to active rearend oil coolers (although an aluminum cover has been shown to lower rearend temps by 10 to 20 degrees).
Old 10-09-2004, 03:59 PM

Yours will get hotter than everybody else because you did the swap. The stock Z with t-56 are insulated somewhat better because it is from the factory. I did the swap and mine gets hot too. Remember we have to cut a hole to get that thing in there and there really is not any science to cutting it just make sure it fits, from the factory that hole is juat the right size to fit the trannie a little better than our hack cutting so we get that extra exhaust heat up in our cars.
-Mike
Old 10-09-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mike96lt1
Yours will get hotter than everybody else because you did the swap. The stock Z with t-56 are insulated somewhat better because it is from the factory. I did the swap and mine gets hot too. Remember we have to cut a hole to get that thing in there and there really is not any science to cutting it just make sure it fits, from the factory that hole is juat the right size to fit the trannie a little better than our hack cutting so we get that extra exhaust heat up in our cars.
-Mike

Well Put.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:42 PM

My hole was actually slightly smaller than the one from the camaro that I pulled it out of. But the exhaust idea is definitely a sound one. Have you experimented with insulation/sound deadening material???

Jonota
Old 10-20-2004, 09:02 PM

Not yet I stiil dont have a shifter plate so mine is open right now(only lower boot) so I get lots of heat as soon as I get that shifter plate a little high temp insulation should help with heat and noise from my loud mouth! By the way how is you trannie working out for ya any problems since the swap, mine has been great best mod done to date.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:52 PM

now THAT was a loaded question!

Lets see: I agree, it was the best upgrade I've done so far! Especially since I got an M29 out of a 93 Camaro, so 1st was wicked! However... since then:
Blew an engine. Had a warranty, tried to use that, ended up with a $1000 bill for a 90k mile junkyard engine. In addition, the shop that installed it not only took 2 months, they also managed to seize the first throwout bearing, THEN they broke off the collar for the input shaft (didn't find that out til MUCH later). Morale for that story: DIY and C.A.R.S. warrantees SUCK!
Then, upon finally learning about the input shaft collar being broken, I ran out of time to fix it as I'm in the military and was on my way to Hawaii when it finally **** out completely (ripped a centerforce clutch into two pieces!). So I the trusting fool sent it to a shop (because the service manager was a family friend). They sent it to me in Hawaii with 2nd gear ripped to shreds, 3rd gear all out of whack, and a bent input shaft!!!! Moral of that story: DIY and Smith auto group in Idaho Falls, Idaho, SUCKS!
So now I have a 94+ T-56 (still better than the auto, MUCH slower than the M29) and I'm craving the 4.11's!!

Jonota