Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Problem with auto. transmission - hard shift when engine temp reach "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 12:27 PM

Problem with auto. transmission - hard shift when engine temp reach "normal"

Hello from Denmark,

I'm new on this message board and I hope you can help me solving a transmission problem on my car.

I drive a 1997 Camaro Z28 5,7l V8 with an automatic transmission. When engine temperature reach "normal" the automatic transmission shifts very hard. If the ignition is briefly turned off nothing is wrong when it is turned on again and the automatic transmission shift soft again - engine temperature remains "normal".

Another problem is that the 5th gear is 'missing' after 10-12 miles - the automatic transmission remains in 4th gear and will not go up to 5th gear! This problem cannot be solved by reseting the ignition. In the morning when I start the car from cold, nothing is wrong and the automatic transmission shifts to 5th gear around 50mph. This point (when automatic transmission shifts to 5th gear) is gradually raised when I drive the car and after the 10-12 miles the 5th gear is missing.

The engine management system (OBDII) says no errors registered on the car.

My mechanic has changed the following parts on the car to try to solve the problems:
- two solenoinds
- engine temperature sensor
- throttlepositioning sensor

The problem has not been solved What to do (??) - help is really needed and appreciated (!!).

Btw. my mechanic says the automatic transmission is fine and not damaged at all. Every thing should work without any problems at all. The car has 62,000 miles on it.

Thanks
Thomas Krath
Denmark
Old 10-04-2005, 03:31 AM

Re: Problem with auto. transmission - hard shift when engine temp reach "normal"

up..
Old 10-04-2005, 05:19 AM

Re: Problem with auto. transmission - hard shift when engine temp reach "normal"

5th gear? you mean 4th (or overdrive)?
Did someone tune the car?
It could be a damaged connector (transmission or MAF).
Do you have a scanner? Do you have codes?
Old 10-04-2005, 07:45 AM

It almost sounds like the dreaded p1870 code (even though you say you're not getting any codes). The '5th' gear is your converter locking up in OD. The converter not locking up and extremely hard shfts after warmup usually go hand in hand with the p1870 code.

Do a search for 'p1870' and you'll find all you need to know about it. This is a common problem.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by IROCZZ3
It almost sounds like the dreaded p1870 code (even though you say you're not getting any codes). The '5th' gear is your converter locking up in OD. The converter not locking up and extremely hard shfts after warmup usually go hand in hand with the p1870 code.

Do a search for 'p1870' and you'll find all you need to know about it. This is a common problem.
Jep - it is the automatic overdrive function that disappears. I will have the code read out.

Thanks
Thomas Krath
Old 10-07-2005, 05:38 AM

You are losing the torque converter lockup, not 5th gear, as it does not exist. The problems you are having are electronic.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Pro Built Automatics
You are losing the torque converter lockup, not 5th gear, as it does not exist. The problems you are having are electronic.

think it could be the solinoid to the converter getting hot and not working?