Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Pinion seal question (I searched)...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:47 PM

Pinion seal question (I searched)...

I was reading the stickey and I came across this little tidbit...

2. Maintain your differential. Always keep an eye on the fluid. Fluid seeping from the pinion seal is normal on these cars, but if it begins to drip onto the floor have it replaced.
My pinion seal has been leaking for some time now, but I've never replaced it because of what is involved. -Wait till the 10b breaks and replace the whole damn thing.. I refuse to mess with the rear on that car, my luck is terrible with them..

ANYWAY....... I'm just getting tired of having my tunnel and my fancy TQ Arm covered in RP.... It's getting slung everywhere, but does not drip in the DW. I'm replacing the cover seal AGAIN tomorrow, and was wondering if it was worth the bother to take it to a dealer to have the pinion seal replaced. Not time yet?

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 05-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:37 AM

Those butchers at the dealer will most likely zap the pinion nut off, replace the seal and zap it back on with the impact gun. NOT!!! the right way of doing it.

Its not too hard to do if you are not resetting the gears. just have to keep track of the shims. But you will need a torque wrench and a rotational torque guage.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:03 AM

^ From what I understand, you have to replace the crush sleeve. I thought that involved taking the pinion out......... ?????? No? I've read thru a NUMBER of different 'techniques' that some say is a hit or miss as far as it working or not.. ie: counting threads... meh.. I'd rather have it done right because I don't have very good luck with rears.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:29 AM

crush sleeve causes more harm and false readings then good. When ever i do a rear guess what i do with that flippen crush sleeve. TRASH IT!!!!

Some will argue for solid pinion spacer/crush sleeve. All it does is keep a user/vibration from overtigtening the pinion nut. When has a nut ever tightened itself? Setup the rear the correct way once without the sleeve and you will never look back.