Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Only third gear shifting hard?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 03:10 PM

Only third gear shifting hard?

I have a 1998 Z28 camaro which I just put on new heads, headers, pipes, and intake. I got it tuned and when it came out it was great....for about 2 days. Then all the sudden everytime the car shifts into 3rd gear I'm feeling it. It does it all the way through the gear but after that its fine. Would this have anything to do with with the tuning? If not does anyone know whats going on with it?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MetalHeavy
I have a 1998 Z28 camaro which I just put on new heads, headers, pipes, and intake. I got it tuned and when it came out it was great....for about 2 days. Then all the sudden everytime the car shifts into 3rd gear I'm feeling it. It does it all the way through the gear but after that its fine. Would this have anything to do with with the tuning? If not does anyone know whats going on with it?
Your going to have to explain feeling it ? Now if you means its bump when it shifts thats likely because the tuner raised the line a little for the 3rd shift not necessarily a bad thing as firm shifts are good
Old 09-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Seems like it grinds through third. It vibrates the entire console bad. I'm thinking something floating around in the transmission possibly but I'm not a trans guy so I cant make any assumption. Thats why I'm HERE asking. This forum is to ASK questions and share information there 2fastfor2nd. So I'd advise you to keep your mouth shut. The odds of you knowing what it is are slim to none thats why I got no reasonable explination besides a retarded "You bought a 98". Sound like a car enthusiast to me. Learn some grammer. Anyways I just cant pin point it. It did this for a little while but seems to get worse as the days pass. Any ideas?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by MetalHeavy
Seems like it grinds through third. It vibrates the entire console bad. I'm thinking something floating around in the transmission possibly but I'm not a trans guy so I cant make any assumption. Thats why I'm HERE asking. This forum is to ASK questions and share information there 2fastfor2nd. So I'd advise you to keep your mouth shut. The odds of you knowing what it is are slim to none thats why I got no reasonable explination besides a retarded "You bought a 98". Sound like a car enthusiast to me. Learn some grammer. Anyways I just cant pin point it. It did this for a little while but seems to get worse as the days pass. Any ideas?

Is This and auto or manual trans ?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM

Automatic Trans.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Supporting Vendor

Well its possible there and issue with the 3-4 clutch set but with the vibration/grinding I would take a look at my trans mount and torque arm bushing first
Old 09-11-2008, 11:33 AM

So the 3-4 clutch setting could cause this huh? The guy who put the parts on says the trans possibly needs to be rebuilt. I wanna kinda use that as a last option seeing as it costs around $1800. I'll try the torque arm bushing as well as checking into the 3-4 clutch. Hopefully this will eliminate the problem.