Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Need tranny help in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 03:23 AM

Need tranny help in Dallas

Its been a while since I posted so most of you prolly dont remember me. I have a 94 T/A A4 with a few mods.
After dealing with numerous tranny problems over the last several years dealing with Phoenix Racing in Weatherford they finally built me a somewhat decent tranny about 2 years ago when threatened with legal action. Well....that was 2 years ago and now I am again dealing with a tranny that is on its last leg. I am tired of dealing with this POS 4L60E and these shops that claim they can build a good one (Its funny, since the last rebuild the car has NEVER been on a track)..its only been used for daily driving and the occasional traffic light race with whoever was dumb enough to try me. Being that I also own a low 11 sec 87 Grand National this car has kinda taken a back seat for racing so I decided several months ago that I should prolly sell the T/A so I could focus on the Buick. Its kinda hard to sell a 425 hp Trans Am with a screwed up tranny so I have to either repair the A4 or convert it to a M6. Is there anyone local that could help me convert this car to a T56 for a decent price? In the past rebuilding this 4L60 has been around 1500 bucks give or take. What I want to know is what would be cheaper....converting or just dropping in a used or rebuilt 4L60 so I can sell it. I really dont want to sell the car but reality is that I prolly should because I cant afford to keep dropping 1500 bucks every 2 years or less for a high 12, low 13 sec car. Its just not realistic. The Buick is much more fun, much faster, and cheaper to fix normally when the old 2004R breaks. Anyone wanna help me?
Im in Duncanville.
Jeff
Old 06-21-2004, 04:30 AM

Easily just putting in a new 4L60E will be cheaper. You can prolly snag a T-56 off ebay for ~800 (give or take) but, then I'd definately recommend having it rebuilt, and a shop will probably want 700$ for that? (Correct me if Im wrong, I don't usually have to pay full price for tranny work so my guesses might be low but Im trying to stay mid-high)

You can get a stout 4L60E. I had one in my caprice (heavier car) and I was running 12's on spray with it, and put 25,000 miles ontop of that on it, with pleeeenty of track time, and after a little over 2 years were up and pulled it (the car is getting a 383 and th400 now) it was still perfectly fine. I resold it for about 700$.

If you have a core I know shops around here charge about 700$ for a good build and not just a stock **** build. Prices should be similiar in your area?

But Id still say its cheaper to stay auto, and a lot easier too.

edit: besides.. if you go T-56 you'll prolly wanna keep the car hehe
Old 06-22-2004, 06:10 PM

I use (and recommend) the same tranny builder that my friend uses for their Top Sportsman drag car that runs 4.70's in the 1/8th off an engine that generates almost 1300 rwhp. He really seems to know his stuff, is reasonable ($$$-wise), and backs up his work. He has done 2 trannies (4L60E's) for me and they are strong! He is thorough, won't "gimmick" the tranny, and builds for longevity as well as speed. Contact Rick Cate @ Jackson Motors in Rockwall, phone #-214-725-7515, if you're interested. Rick will put you in touch w/ the builder. Tell Rick that Mike Laman referred you and I will tell him to expect a call. I don't think you will be disappointed. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks!