Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

M6 clutches a crap shoot??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 AM

M6 clutches a crap shoot??

OK. I am in the process of changing my clutch since my SPEC 2 with only 1500 miles on it over the last 1.5 years isn't working out. Clutch is out of the car, no oil contamination, flywheel was turned with the install yet it shudders/chatters so badly that I have only driven the car 1500 miles in a year and 1/2. The traction control light on the dash actually comes on with the play in the drivetrain. The flywheel has hot spots and they line up with hot discoloration on the pressure plate. Customer service at SPEC was little help but did offer to sell me another kit but I will likely not take another chance on a SPEC product. Weird thing is is that it performed GREAT during the 500 mile break in period, nice and smooth, and got increasingly worse as mileage approached 1000.

I have been looking for reviews on SPEC and other brands and see there seems to be about a 50/50 split with individuals who like their choice of clutch and those who are seriously frustrated and pissed. I fall into the latter catagory, especially with my experience with SPEC customer support.

In the clutch options sticky in this forum, stereomandan loves his Duralast kit part no. NU31265 from Autozone and says it is like driving someone else's car--very smooth and no weird chatter or pedal feel--no mention of the vibration ACE1252 mentioned upon installing the same exact kit. ACE then goes on to recommend the Valeo kit with the GM disc and extoles his perfect friction experience. Others mention in this and other threads they love their $500-$600 Center Force/Spec 3/Hayes Performance etc. while others lament an experience similar to mine with SPEC/other aftermarket suppliers.

So, I have decided that with stock power plus intake and exhaust, I am going to try the Schucks/OReilly Fenco NU31265 kit (notice the same part no. as the Duralast kit?? hmmm). At least when it takes a crap, it has a warranty and I am not out as serious a coin as I am with the others. While I welcome any warnings/recommendations, please understand that for everyone who loves their CF dual disc, there is at least one who hates the same exact product and the people who won't stand with the customer.

Dave
Old 02-17-2009, 12:52 AM

You must have a faulty kit.

I've used nothing but SPEC over the past 6 years and it's all I'll ever use. Customer service is great, the clutches are top notch, and they're extremely affordable compared to what other clutch kits cost.

I just order a Stage 1 today.

You either got a bad kit, install wasn't done properly, or you have other failing components that screwed it up.

Try another SPEC, especially if they're going to give you a discount. Just figure out what the problem is.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by raroz28

I've used nothing but SPEC over the past 6 years and it's all I'll ever use. Customer service is great... especially if they're going to give you a discount. Just figure out what the problem is.
See, the trend continues to hold in this thread so far. I am truly glad you have had good experiences with SPEC.

Everything else that could cause this type of failure/issue has been checked--flywheel flatness, pilot bearing, motor and trans mounts, trans input shaft and bearings etc. and all are fine. I sent photos, emailed explanations of my experience, paying the labor for removing and installing a new clutch, and I was told by SPEC customer service that nothing could be done without returning the kit to them for inspection. Even after all this, they obviously can give no guarantees. Considering paying for return shipping, the time to wait for a decision that likely will not work in my favor, and risking what I feel may be another faulty product, I decided to cut my losses and the time my car will be on a lift at the shop. Simple as that...it didn't work out for me. BTW, I never mentioned they are giving me a discount.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM

I notice in your sig you have a Stage 3. Why the switch to Stage 1 if I may ask?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 AM

I've had two Spec clutch set-up's. The 1st clutch wore out. I called for a replacement clutch but Spec discontinued the unit I purchased. So, I purchased a NEW Spec_3 disc, pressure plate, Alum insert. It has been working good. It does hold the torque and takes the abuse I throw @ it behind a 97ss 383 - D1 - M6, and, I am quite abusive @ times.

I was not happy with direct conversations with Spec. It was like they were the King, and, you are the little customer, so, pay-up and be greatfull. I may try a different clutch brand on my next clutch change. There is alot of choice out there now. I'm @ that mod point where I am not afraid to do anything. I just learned from a post that there are line restrictions in the gm hyd-clutch design. That is not good. B.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by dfrank
See, the trend continues to hold in this thread so far. I am truly glad you have had good experiences with SPEC.

Everything else that could cause this type of failure/issue has been checked--flywheel flatness, pilot bearing, motor and trans mounts, trans input shaft and bearings etc. and all are fine. I sent photos, emailed explanations of my experience, paying the labor for removing and installing a new clutch, and I was told by SPEC customer service that nothing could be done without returning the kit to them for inspection. Even after all this, they obviously can give no guarantees. Considering paying for return shipping, the time to wait for a decision that likely will not work in my favor, and risking what I feel may be another faulty product, I decided to cut my losses and the time my car will be on a lift at the shop. Simple as that...it didn't work out for me. BTW, I never mentioned they are giving me a discount.
Must have been another person that they gave the discount to in another thread. Don't know why I thought I saw it in this thread as well.

I have a friend with an LS1 that I recommended SPEC to. He had issues with his stock clutch, then put in the SPEC and had the same issues. He immediately came online to bash SPEC and tell everyone to stay away. They sent him another clutch kit no questions asked, and he had the same issue. He continued to blame SPEC. I think he may have even put in a 3rd kit. Finally he got fed up and replaced every component in the setup (hydro's and all), and put in an LS7 clutch. Now the problem went away, but I have a hunch the SPEC wasn't the problem, but still every chance he gets he puts the blame on them and says buyer beware. That's what the majority of the bad rap comes from.

Keep in mind that they're a clutch manufacturer. They are in business to make money. They can't afford to accommodate every unqualified backyard mechanic when they have an issue and can't figure it out and want to automatically blame the clutch. I'm sure if you let them know right away they'd have replaced the clutch no questions asked. Once back in 04 they sent me the wrong clutch. I let them know and they shipped me the correct clutch over night, with a pre paid stamp to put on the old kit and leave on my porch.

If you really don't want to go with SPEC, summit has pretty good deals on RAM clutch kits, which I've heard good things about.

The Stage 3, surprisingly, lasted me 4 years and 40k miles. I never thought it would last as long as it did. Pedal feel was awesome, grabbed great, etc... But I think it was too much for my car. Back when I put it in this car was driven on weekends (once in a while to work on a nice day), and sat all winter. It's now my daily driver so I want something more streetable that will last a lot longer. The Stage 1 should be good enough for the power I'm making. I doubt I'm making over 400 ft/lb's at the crank, and if I am, it's not that much over. I've never used a Stage 1, I'm excited to see how it feels and grabs.

Last edited by raroz28; 02-17-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 AM

After reading your "budget" fix attempts in another thread, I hope this works out for you. The clutch thing can be very tedious to track down and fix.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 AM

Yeah me too. I was hoping that cheap fix would last me just a few months. I really didn't want to put down another 400 bucks at this point in time, after all the other money I've had to put into the car recently.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 PM

My biggest problem was the unbalanced pressure plate in the Autozone kit. It was terrible. I don't know how hard it is going to grab as it's not broken in yet. Just beware the unbalanced pressure plate.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 PM

I have the spec stage 1 and it grabs really well and is great on the street. Definately a lot better than stock.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by raroz28

I've used nothing but SPEC over the past 6 years and it's all I'll ever use. Customer service is great, the clutches are top notch, and they're extremely affordable compared to what other clutch kits cost.

I just order a Stage 1 today.

You either got a bad kit, install wasn't done properly, or you have other failing components that screwed it up.

Try another SPEC, especially if they're going to give you a discount. Just figure out what the problem is.

From what I can tell, you are on your 5th SPEC clutch in 6 years and you are happy with their products? Either you race your car quite a bit and this is acceptable if you do, you are very hard on your car on the street or the SPEC stuff is not holding up so well.

I posted this on the sticky for this sub forum but I will post it here also:

I now have the NU31265 kit that is a Chinese knockoff at Auto Zone/Schucks/OReilly etc. and it is working quite well...smooth at take off, holds well (but I am still in the 500 mile break in period so not jumping on it yet) and no vibration (balanced ok). I'll keep you all posted. Oh, I also have a reman flywheel that is a GM part and is $59 after core return. All is well again...so far... Total cost for clutch and flywheel parts < $300.00

Last edited by dfrank; 02-21-2009 at 01:14 AM. Reason: want to add to post
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 AM

From what I can tell, you are on your 5th SPEC clutch in 6 years and you are happy with their products?
Is it possible that I've used it on every car I've ever owned?

This is the second SPEC I've had in my Camaro.

Come on Mcfly
Old 02-21-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by jtarp
I have the spec stage 1 and it grabs really well and is great on the street. Definately a lot better than stock.
Same here, I've got about 100 miles on my stage 1 and it's getting smoother everyday.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:05 AM

You've owned more than one car?
Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 AM

You've owned more than one car?
I've owned 3.

Quick Reply: M6 clutches a crap shoot??