Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

lost 3rd and 4th. Very upkept 4l60E. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 AM

lost 3rd and 4th. Very upkept 4l60E. Suggestions?

Hi.
I have a 95 4l60E in my 94 z28. I have done the pwm mod. My transmission is very up kept. I just recently just changed the filter and all of the fluid once again about 3-4 weeks ago. Used the same fluid as b4. (maxlife ) (Tranny cooler has been installed when it was on the 95, and one is on the 94 too) I live on a VERY bad, bumpy dirt road.

Yesterday when i got off the dirt road, driving normally, i looked down to see how fast I was going and I noticed the RPMs were way too high. I immediately slowed down and moved the shifter around. I have manually 1st and 2nd. but no 3rd or 4th. I checked the fluid level. (wasn’t low at all), added 1/2 QT just incase and tried again. Same thing. Its like it want to engage but for some reason cant. Drove it home in 2nd.

Would this be a solenoid prob.? Valve body prob. Or even the VSS?? IM HOPING that it is NOT the 3-4 clutches! (its even a performance upgraded/rebuilt tranny) w/ higher stall TC.

Could I get some input on this, because If i need a new tranny....my car will be off the road for a good year or so...

I have a toasted 94 4l60e laying outside (one of the planets exploded). and the electronic parts could be cleaned and installed for testing, and replaced with bran new if issue fixed.

Thank you all!
Old 07-16-2008, 09:09 AM

Hmm, what does the fluid look/smell like?

When you added the half quart was it full to begin with? Theres no such thing as a little low on fluid with a 4l60e.

I dont really think its a shift solenoid or anything like that, it would probably throw a code and just default to 3rd gear.

Although, I guess you could just be stuck in second gear. Did it feel like the car was pulling when it was supposed to be in third or fourth? Just with the rpms pretty high? I suppose you could have a shift solenoid stuck in that case, perhaps a checkball is hammered into the seperator plate and not allowing proper operation.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Supporting Vendor

If it just stays in second it may be a stuck valve or solenoid, On the other hand if it neutrals where the 2-3 shift should be then its likely the 3-4 clutch set
Old 07-16-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Performabuilt
If it just stays in second it may be a stuck valve or solenoid, On the other hand if it neutrals where the 2-3 shift should be then its likely the 3-4 clutch set
When driving if in shifter in 3rd, it will go first, second, then it hits 3rd n basically nutrals out. If i rev it high enough it grabs what seems like 2nd and goes.Iv had this issue before on a different tranny in the 95. ( or maybe this one..im not sure, this would be like tranny number 4), I believe the rebuilder said something about a check ball or some kind of ball either missing or stuck. If this is the case ("again")? is this ball able to be replaced through the pan withought taking the tranny off?

Fluid doesnt smell burnt at all.
Thank you all
Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Supporting Vendor

I would think it unlikely to be a check ball . I am afraid there is a 3-4 clutch issue , possibly broke out the snap ring in the input drum. The rev high and move is actually first. In the absence of the 3-4 clutch the shift literally becomes 1-2-1
Old 07-17-2008, 02:49 AM

I would think it unlikely to be a check ball . I am afraid there is a 3-4 clutch issue , possibly broke out the snap ring in the input drum. The rev high and move is actually first. In the absence of the 3-4 clutch the shift literally becomes 1-2-1
Its actually Second in my issue, unless i have first gear up to 80MPH or so...still the same issue?

I will make a Datamaster log within the next 2 days, Performabuilt, so when i do could you please look at it and maybe tell me a little more, and prolly have more evidence its the 3-4 clutches

Last edited by ussj4brolli; 08-11-2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:40 AM

Here is the file from Datamaster EE.
http://www.fileshack.us/get_file.php...ne++2+town.uni

Please look into it n see maybe could be something else?

When I put it into 3rd, it "feels" like it grabs, and the rpms are a little higher then in nutral.

Later in the file i was driving at highway speeds, i would speed up in 2nd, and just coast in N.

Thanks everyone!