Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Little knock in 1st and 2nd.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 06:00 PM

Little knock in 1st and 2nd.

Well i just bought my car as you guys know... only 18k miles, full warrenty from head to toe until 36k

Ever since i bought it i've heard a bit of a knock in 1st and 2nd gear, and it goes away in 3rd.

My step dad drove it today and he said its just the manual transmission, and I shouldn't worry about it..

I have to go to the dealership on Wednesday anyways for a free detailing job, I was wondering if i should get them to look at it?

Anyone other LS1 owner ever have this happen?

(it is a 6speed manual)

Also, it's throwing no codes or anything like that, from what i've read this is a pretty common thing with no fix, just making sure!

Last edited by brink; 09-23-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:58 PM

Re: Little knock in 1st and 2nd.

anyone?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 AM

What kind of knock? Spark knock, rod knock.....................?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Na, it's nothing like that, from what i hear its the throw out bearing .. and the slave solenoid need replacing, I hear it's a pretty quick fix, ill run it by the dealer.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:15 PM

are you talking about pinging? i know when its hot out i tend to get some pinging under wot. add some higher octane and see if it goes away. as for repair if thats the case, i dont know what to tell you. it usually goes away the first couple of weeks after i put new plugs in but it comes back sooner or later.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by brink
Na, it's nothing like that, from what i hear its the throw out bearing .. and the slave solenoid need replacing, I hear it's a pretty quick fix, ill run it by the dealer.
um there's no such thing as a slave soleniod so I'd be careful about getting it fixed

Throw out bearings don't knock.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:21 AM

Hmm well this is what i was told.. WTF could it be then?

Many, many people have told me it's the throw out bearing, because when i press the clutch in, the noise stops.

But the ironic thing is that it doesnt do it in 3rd gear at all..

I dunno, i'm beginning to just think it's nothing but the transmission making random noises, because its not affecting performance at all.

The car has 18k miles.. It still needs a little breaking in =P
Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 AM

The only thing you can really do is try scanning the problem with a good piece of software. The car has knock sensors that will pull timing when knock is detected. If you're running a stock tune with the only mod being a K&N, chances are it's not really knock you're hearing. The thing you have to be careful with the K&N's is they can be over-oiled sometimes. That can in turn gunk up the MAF sensor causing it to give false readings and incorrect fueling calculations. If you clean off the MAF, throw a clean paper filter in there and still get the knocking sound, then you'll know for sure it's mechanical. These cars tend to come so rich from the factory that any chance of knock is flooded out by the excess fuel.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:55 AM

Understood, but the knock is only when i accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear.

If i just rev my engine in neutral, there is no knock, It's not coming from the engine I do not believe.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Retired

I'm still trying to figure out how you have a "full head to toe" warranty on a 6 year old car.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:26 AM

Opinion:
Throw out bearing doesn't knock, more of a rattle sound. It will NOT make noise when clutch is pressed in. Clutch released, it'll make noise in all gears, but usually only audible in neutral at idle, otherwise exhaust noise and engine noise cover it.

Clutch Slave tends to work poorly but not make noise. Slave 'cylinder' is a legitimate part, slave 'solenoid' is not. Repair is replacement, involves removing the trans.

As for knock in 1st and second gear under accel, that's NOT the throw out bearing. It may well be legitimate engine knock, which DOES usually only show up under load, and not when free revving the engine. (BTW, don't rev the engine in neutral for no reason, not very good for it.)

I'd look at plugs, wires, and scan the engine for knock retard while driving if it were mine.

You have a warranty, why NOT let dealer look at it?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kraest
I'm still trying to figure out how you have a "full head to toe" warranty on a 6 year old car.

I have a full warrenty because the car only has 18000 miles. The warrenty is a 36000 warrenty.

I guess I'll have the dealer look at it, although i really don't think they will do anything, because it's not affecting performance what so ever.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by brink
I have a full warrenty because the car only has 18000 miles. The warrenty is a 36000 warrenty.

I guess I'll have the dealer look at it, although i really don't think they will do anything, because it's not affecting performance what so ever.
those go for 3 years or 36000 miles, the three years has passed, so you dont have a warranty...My 94 only has 29k miles...no warranty

oh, and my trans makes noise too, its probably the same noise that youre hearing, its just the gears making noises as they mesh at certain rpms. does yours do it thru the entire first gear, mine will usually come and go for about 500 rpms in first or second
Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 AM

No, I bought the car a week ago and they told me when i bought it, it had a DEALER 3 year warrenty and/or 36k miles, that means from the day i drove it out of the dealership, i have 3 years or 36k miles.

It is a $100 deductable though.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Retired

The factory 3y/36k is up.

Used cars outside of factory warranty don't usually come with any warranty.

3/36 means 3 years OR 36k miles. 3 years has passed = no warranty.

Quick Reply: Little knock in 1st and 2nd.