Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Installing trans after mcloed clutch install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:44 AM

Angry Installing trans after mcloed clutch install?

I put in the McLoed street twin yesterday, and after cleaning the bellhousing and trans today I came home from work and tried to install the trans with my brother and his friend at night. I used the supplied alignment tool, tightened all clutch bolts to spec, then went to slide in the trans. We have the trans input shaft in, but it wount go in the last cm. Right now it is resting on the crossmember and a few bolts, but It wount go in the last cm. There is one cm inbetween the trans and the bellhousing.
Should I just tighten the bolts in a cross pattern to force it in?
Or should I hookup the slave and enguage the clutch to see if that will line it up a little better?
Or should I take it all out and re-align it again?
Or should I do something that I didnt think of.... Any ideas?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:25 AM

option 2 combined with option 1
Old 08-29-2003, 05:20 AM

Nice.... those were my favorite options
Old 08-29-2003, 07:00 AM

Pull the trans out (I know its a pain in the ***, I've been there a few times) and put some grease (not very much at all) on the splines of the input shaft, and a little more on the tip, where it will be in the pilot bushing. This will help it a lot. If you installed a new pilot bushing, it will be especially hard to get the trans in that last 1/2" or so because of the tight fit. Some people don't like the idea of drawing it in with the bolts, but its not bad if everything is lined up correctly.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:25 AM

using the grease on the shaft is a good idea, also check to make sure the clutch is actually centered, even though you use the tool to center it, there is still play in it that wil let it sag and make it off just enough to make it hard to install. Just line it up with your eyes as best as possible, I did both these ideas and mine slide right in, the last half inch I had to torque the bolts down, but they went in real easy, if they stop and are hard to turn in, then its probably a bad idea. I have also heard of people hooking up the clutch fork and slave cylinder up, then having a buddy push in the clutch real slow, which helps it align and slide in.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:49 AM

Wahoo, its all in. Now my only probelms are the damn master cyl, (see other post in driveline) and this one last plug, Im not sure if I had it plugged into anything or not... Its kinda big... Ill look it up tomora, my main concern now is the master cyl