Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

i'd appreciate some urgent feedback about my spec stage 3

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:41 PM

i'd appreciate some urgent feedback about my spec stage 3

here's a link with pics on another forum so you can see what happened and read my rant

http://fullsizechevy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151396

what do you guys think happened? do you think spec will warrenty this stuff for me? it's less than a year old, and i have reciepts for all of it. i'd like to know what you all think, alot of you seem to have these clutches and not too many people around me or on fsc.com have them. i thought they were supposed to be good badass clutches? btw , the truck has never been raced or hard-launched because the tranny needed to be repaired.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM

Re: i'd appreciate some urgent feedback about my spec stage 3

Spec stage 3s are sort of infamous for having the springs go out. This was the major reason i went with a spec stage 4

I would definetly call them and see what they can do to help you out, when i got my clutch their customer service was great. Called and got a real person first try.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:32 PM

mine was 90% worn (oddly) and they only warranty for 90 days and it cost me $150 for a new disc and a redone pressure plate ! good luck !!! bad *** clutch but it needs work just my .02
Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM

the difference between the stage 3 and 4 is what? they both hold the same tq according to their site. is it jsut the pedal feel? i'd hate to have to run a stage 4 on the street , and i won;t be doing htat for a while if i have to... money's tight from the tranny rebuild
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 PM

difference is basically the stage 4 dosent have the sprung hub. Its fine on the street unless you get into stop and go rush hour traffic.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by blk97ta
mine was 90% worn (oddly) and they only warranty for 90 days and it cost me $150 for a new disc and a redone pressure plate ! good luck !!! bad *** clutch but it needs work just my .02
90% worn after how long? btw i was at j&m corvettes when they said that about never seeing that before. thinking about a dyno tune by them, i hear it's the only place in the state to get a good one. where did you buy your spec from? just curious

Last edited by djlunchbox; 03-31-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Valkyn71
difference is basically the stage 4 dosent have the sprung hub. Its fine on the street unless you get into stop and go rush hour traffic.
so what would it be like in stop and go. really harsh engagement right? i think i'll stick with the stage 3 if that's the case. i drive to shows and have to go through nyc sometimes ...uggg... it was bad enough last year with the stage 3...lol
Old 03-31-2005, 08:48 PM

Yeah it heats up and gets really harsh.

I was dumb at went to the track through one of the heaviest traffic areas in Kansas city, at 6pm on a friday night.

Clutch heated up and began to make a terrible groaning sound and engagement was very harsh and sticky.

Pulled off at a gas station and let it cool down a bit, and was fine.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:53 PM

90% after 3000-5000 miles . and as for dyno tune www.eastsideperformance.com in wallingford CT or www.xxtuning.com in weathersfield are the way to go ! i've heard of many blown up cars on j&m's dyno !!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Valkyn71
Yeah it heats up and gets really harsh.

I was dumb at went to the track through one of the heaviest traffic areas in Kansas city, at 6pm on a friday night.

Clutch heated up and began to make a terrible groaning sound and engagement was very harsh and sticky.

Pulled off at a gas station and let it cool down a bit, and was fine.
hmmmm, kinda makes me wonder if the springs might have done that waaaaaaaaaaay back in august when i was stuck in NYC rush hour traffic. i overheated twice (only runing a single electric fan with no shroud and thank GOD for that electric water pump. cooled my block temp down to 18 in less than 10 min...lol)

then again maybe not cause the flywheel isn't shredded, and i drove the truck from CT to FL and back last month with no clutch problems at all....

ooooooooooooo another question for you guys too, when starting the truck with it in 1st gear, sometimes it would lurch a little forward. this is with the clutch pedal on the floor. not all the time, jsut sometimes. do you think that was due to the springs being broken?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by blk97ta
90% after 3000-5000 miles . and as for dyno tune www.eastsideperformance.com in wallingford CT or www.xxtuning.com in weathersfield are the way to go ! i've heard of many blown up cars on j&m's dyno !!!!!
holy chit! is this what i can expect from this thing? seems like an awful waste of money doing that twice a year. and lmao about J&M. i've heard so many different stories about them, but most were due to a certian employee who doesn;t work there anymore. ima check out those sites now. do they have chassis dyno's? **EDIT** i'm likeing that xxtune place. and their 1/4 mile run deals. i will definately be there this summer provided this thing gets back on the road. that's a ton cheaper than going to englishtown or lebanon vally, plus if i break down there, AAA will tow me home

Last edited by djlunchbox; 03-31-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by djlunchbox
the difference between the stage 3 and 4 is what? they both hold the same tq according to their site. is it jsut the pedal feel? i'd hate to have to run a stage 4 on the street , and i won;t be doing htat for a while if i have to... money's tight from the tranny rebuild
Stage 4 is the same disc, just no sprung hub. Hub is just riveted to the disc. I just installed mine this past weekend and I've got 60 miles on it. It isn't bad at all.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:34 AM

thanks for the imput. i brought the clutch back to the dealer and they won;t warrenty it. the dealer was on my side, spec wasn't . i'm very unsatisfied with the situation, but what am i to do. i jsut hope the tranny shop doesn't give me crap about jsut installing a new disc in there and not turning/ replacing the flywheel surface and the plate. there's no problem with those and i'm not paying to have those redone too. cost me jsut about 280.00 to get a new disc and some shorter ARP flywheel bolts (just for peace of mind)

hopefully the clutch didn't flex under force and the spring may have hit the bolt. i dunno.... if it did, that was last year and i've been driving it like that ....lol... hopefully i'll be able to drive my truck by the end of next week.
also took this forums advice and i'm getting the clutch backed synchros installed as well as the steel shift fork, new reverse assy (i think) and maybe a new 2nd gear as well... we shall see
Old 05-23-2005, 11:02 PM

Mine did the SAME thing 2 summers ago. called SPEC and they replaced the disk for free, and pulled the pieces of springs and whatnot out of the pressure plate for me. THEN tonight, i pulled my tranny cuz i'm doing another motor swap and removed the clutch, this disk has less than 5k on it, the SAME thing is happening, the spring retainer plate has a crack in it on one sid of the spring area, which means that only the other side needs to break and then yipee... a spring gets to fly around inside the bellhousing. I'm calling spec tomorrow and they better do something about this. SERIOUSLY i started a group purchase for these two years ago here and i was all happy and stuff... NOW i just can't believe i was so stupid!. anyone had any dealings with spec to know if they'll do anything about this?
thanks