Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

I need to fix the trans (6spd). What else should I replace while it's out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 01:36 PM

I need to fix the trans (6spd). What else should I replace while it's out?

I have a 2001 Z, 6spd with 100k miles. When I bought the car, I knew it had some tranny issues (I got it cheap). The syncro's are going out in 2nd, and reverse will pop out.

I haven't gotten it fixed it, but I plan to shortly. I do know that I will replace the clutch that is in there with an LS2/LS7 combo.

As for plans for the car? I'd like to do H/C within a year, and then go with an STS turbo at 5psi. I'm not looking for an all out drag car, just a fast DD.

Since I need to fix the trans now, I'd also like to look into making it strong to handle around 450-500hp. I figure with H/C and Turbo, that would be a good number for me. The turbo won't happen for at least 2 years (one power adder a year). So, I'm looking for something to make it a bit stronger, yet not too bad for daily driving, and won't cost $3k.

Right now the car is all stock. While the trans is out, what else should look into replacing?

Thanks.
Milo.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 AM

Depends on how much you want to spend! LOL Are you rebuilding yours or just going to buy a rebuilt one? Rockland Standard Gear makes some nice units and they sell parts (regular & HD parts) to rebuild yours. We deal with them all the time at my shop and have never had a problem with them! They got stuff to build them mild to wild! I THINK they have one that can hold close to a 1,000 horses!
http://www.rsgear.com/

Peace,
Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 11:33 PM

I have the same issue with my car, I'm getting ready to drop my tranny out to send off to www.t56rebuilds.com . From what I hear, they are the best when it comes to the T56 6 Speed Manual Transmission. Most people on this forum stick with the A4.

About fixing your problems, I suggest replacing 1-2 Shift Fork , 1-2 Synchronizers, Get Carbon Fiber Blocker Rings, and new Reverse Synchronizer Assembly. Maybe a 1-2 Slider as well.

Someone told me that you can flip the reverse gear over and use the other side of it, so me and you might not have to get a new reverse unit. I'm going to speak with Joe from T56 Rebuilds Monday morning to see what all he thinks I need replaced, but my tranny issues sounds EXACTLY like yours.

-Dax
Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM

Any one else?