Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Help me with my A4 to T56 swap..need parts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:13 PM

Unhappy Help me with my A4 to T56 swap..need parts.

I'll make this short and sweet. I am yanking out the 4L60E in my 94 Trans Am and NEVER installing another one. After 6 failed hi-po rebuilds I am done with it. I need a COMPLETE list of all the parts I will need to make the conversion work and look right. EVERYTHING!!!
I KNOW that some of you have done this swap so please jump in and give me a list so I can start getting the parts together. I dont plan to race this car but maybe once or twice a year...(I have a 10 second 87 Grand National for drag racing). I just want my Trans Am to be a reliable, fun to drive (6 speeds are WAY more fun to drive than an A4), fast, and good looking.
HELP
Jeff
Old 09-28-2004, 12:22 AM

Re: Help me with my A4 to T56 swap..need parts.

Did the swap.. pretty easy.

You might be able to find a member here who is willing to do a complete kit... check the for sale section.

If you'd rather piece it together, then here's what you'll need:
Borg Warner T56, bellhousing, and crossmember (94-97 F-body)
Pedal assembly
flywheel
Clutch hydraulics
shifter/boot/console piece

There were 3 different T56 models: 2 for the 93 model year(steeper gears), 1 for 94-97(taller gears than either of the 93 models). The difference is in the ratios and the 94-97 can handle more power in stock form (supposedly). Next comes the gears: Gears can be a little tricky: Not sure what gears you have, but you might want to consider 3.73s or 4.10s/4.11s for the 94-97 trannies. I have a 94-97 model trans and with the 2.73s i had to start with (when an A4) they were way too tall. Went with 3.73s and that seems like the perfect ratio for my tastes. You could get away with 3.23s if you already have them since 3.42s came stock with the 94-97 M6. The 93 M6s came with either 2.73s or 3.23s and each gear was used with a specific version of the M6. A little research on the differences between the 93s and the 94-up and you'll grasp what i'm talking about. You'll come to discover what gear would best suit you.

Recommended to get new/better clutch and pressure plate. New pilot bearing also. Even a new tranny mount would be a bonus (i got the LS1 mount and it's worked perfectly... a little grinding will be necessary on the exhaust hanger tab though for it to sit flat on the flange, no biggie).

Next you'll want to get a PCM that's been programed for it.... contact one of the programmers here on the board and they can set you up one. While at it, you can get them to program features you want: AIR/EGR delete, coolant fan temps, speedo correction for gears, etc. etc. I went with Ion at Madz28.com and everything went great. Great guy to deal with.

HTHs and good luck on the swap. I did it last september, about 20K miles ago, and haven't had any problems since. And loved every minute since too. The M6 is very fun to drive with.