Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Drivetrain problems - Can't use 1st gear now??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Eck

Drivetrain problems - Can't use 1st gear now??

So today I was driving home and I was playing with my car. I went WOT a couple times in the rain and it downshifted into 1st gear fine. I let it spin for a second but quickly let off. I went to try it a minute or so later for a 3rd time, but then it wouldn't even downshift into 1st, which I thought was REALLY weird.

So I drove it home, looked it over, everything seemed ok. I took it out for a test drive again and the car just refused to use 1st gear. I even put it in 1st with the shifter and it wouldn't go at all. All it does is spin up to 2,000 rpms and not even budge. If I put it in 2nd, D, or OD the car drives fine except it won't use first. I haven't fully tested second gear yet since it's raining but I'm wondering what the hell is going on now. Any ideas? This kinda ruins the day..
Old 06-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Eck

Re: Drivetrain problems - Can't use 1st gear now??

TTT... and let me add some stuff.

Let me go back a little. Last week I had my cam, valvetrain, dynaspark, and underdrive pulleys installed. All was good until yesterday. When starting my car, it kept taking longer and longer like it was straining the battery. Eventually it died and I had to get a jump. I picked up a new battery on the way home from work and that seemed to solve the problem.. at least for now.
So 1st problem after cam install: Battery dies

And then of course on the way home from getting the new battery, I WOT it a couple times and then once more and it won't downshift.
Second problem after cam install: Tranny messed up?

I drove it around a little today and it's pretty strange. If I'm doing 50-60mph or so and I give it around 50% throttle, it will downshift into 3rd and run fine. If I give it anymore gas than that, it will shift into 4th and then overdrive. WOT always seems to make it want to shift now. And of course 1st gear is nearly non-existant. When I was driving around, I pulled into a driveway to turn around. I put it in reverse but it didn't really do much, it just sat there like I was riding the brakes. Then I gave it some gas and it snapped into reverse pretty hard.

Does this sound like my transmission is shot? If so, should I try to pick up another used one or get this one rebuilt? Any recommendations for the Tulsa or Norman, Oklahoma area?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:57 PM

The way you described that problem going into reverse, almost sounds like it's not even being put into the right gear?? Double check and make sure the shifter cable is still hooked up solid (and where the bracket mounts onto the tranny). It would suck if something so simple was causing your problem (although it would be a cheaper, easier fix than tearing into the tranny!).

Otherwise, this one's for the pros to figure out!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Eck

I'll check that and I might have the fluid/filter changed to see if that could be an issue. I checked the dipstick and it seems to have quite a bit of excess fluid -- I don't remember it being that way before the cam install....
Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 PM

Scan it for any transmission codes. They don't usually cause the SES to come on.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:19 PM

If Im not mistaken you shouldnt be able to select the 1 on your shift plate with 2.73 gears.

There is a way to cut a spring or pin to allow you to go there but from the factory it is not a option unless you have a 3 series carrier if my memory serves me correctly.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Demon's Camaro
If Im not mistaken you shouldnt be able to select the 1 on your shift plate with 2.73 gears.
He can...

Originally Posted by Eck
I even put it in 1st with the shifter and it wouldn't go at all.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Eck

Originally Posted by Demon's Camaro

There is a way to cut a spring or pin to allow you to go there but from the factory it is not a option unless you have a 3 series carrier if my memory serves me correctly.
I cut the plastic piece that kept me from doing it. It worked like a charm before my tranny started messing up. I'll get it scanned for tranny codes tomorrow I guess. Would I need to put my OBD2 PCM back in it or should they be able to scan an OBD1 PCM with an OBD2 connection (like a 94 or 95 car)?