Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Driveterain noise...A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Driveterain noise...A4

Well im trying to work out another one of the many little issues with my car. I have had this clank noise from the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift under light throttle for a while now and its driving me nuts. It almost sounds like a bad tranny mount but not as loud. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from the tranny and sometimes it sounds like the rear end. I have replaced the tranny mount and u-joints, checked the torque arm and torque arm bushings, made sure everything is tight and it still does it. So tonight i was wondering if it could possibly be my motor mounts causing some play in the drivetrain, or possibly even a bad pinion bearing. I originally thought it was the rear end but i have been second guessing that. It does make the noise when i manually shift the car at a slow to normal speed or manually down shift. When i accel hard it doesnt make the noise at all...its been doing this since the car sat on jack stands with out the the trans in it for about a week or so. Any opinions here?? I swear i want to burn this thing sometimes...
Old 07-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Re: Driveterain noise...A4

anyone?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:57 PM

? Is the noise louder when you turn and accelarate and if so what direction left to right just a thought if it might be a broken motor mount under acceleration turning you would definatley get a loud clunk and even under normal acceleration it would make a noise.Still not sure if this helps had a broken motor mount in my daily driver(nissan,altima)and it did something similar
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 PM

I had this problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a stripped bolt on my panhard bar where it mounted to the frame. Took me forever to chase it down....but that was my problem. Changed that bolt, and the clunk was gone. It was it's loudest on the 1-2 shift.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM

It doesnt do it when i make turns..only when the driveterain is under load but not at WOT. it will also do it if i downshift the car manually. its driving me nuts...i will have to look over the panhard bar and check out alll the bushings around the rear end...when my tranny was out the rear end sat for a week at full droop. i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM

ttt