Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch/Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM

Clutch/Transmission Help

I have searched the forum and did not see an answer to my question so hear it goes:

I am going this weekend to look at a 1995 Camaro Z28 that has been rebuilt and bored to a 383. I can potentially get a steal this weekend.

Car looks great but he mentioned that the clutch is slipping and it needs a new one. I know how to drive a stick, but I have never had any problems with my old car's clutch slipping.

I want to know what I should look for on the test drive to make sure that it is just the clutch that needs to be replaced and the transmission isn't a problem.

Any help would be great appreciated. Sorry for the newbie post. Just want to make sure I know what I getting into. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Re: Clutch/Transmission Help

A manual trans can't slip, only an automatic can do that. A manual can fail to shift properly if the synchros are shot. As long as it goes into gears properly, smooth and without grinding, then the trans should be fine.

To check for clutch slipping, drive along in 3rd or 4th gear with engine at around 2500 RPM, then floor it. Let the revs climb to peak torque, which will be around there for a stock engine, but maybe higher on this car depending on his cam. If you see the revs start to climb faster than the speedo, that is clutch slipping. Don't do it for very long or you will overheat the clutch and make it worse.

Good luck.