Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch Questions PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Clutch Questions PLEASE HELP

Hello I am new to the site and am having some trouble with my clutch I recently bought a 95 3.4 and about a day after i bought it I noticed the clutch was slipping or so I think heres what happened I was in 3rd shifting to 4th and all of a sudden i noticed i was losing speed at the tach went up to around 4500 rpms so I down shifted and it was work fine the rest of the ride home i was telling a buddy and he said to check the master cylinder fluid and it was bone dry after refilling it the car seems to shift worse it now over revs in all gears and i have to stay in it just to get momentum the car is now parked and iIwas wondering if I I need to bleed the master cylinder and if so how do I go about it or if I need a new clutch found a stage 2 clutch kit for 170 and an OEM for 125 but if I upgrade will I need to change the flywheel PLEASE HELP ME

Thanks
Justin
Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Re: Clutch Questions PLEASE HELP

first of all, how many miles are on the car? second, low fluid would cause you not to be able to disengage the clutch. Finally it is slipping in 4th gear, then you probably need to change the clutch.

I would first try bleed to clutch since it is inexpensive and easy to do.
first fill up the reservoir. underneath the car on the drivers side of the transmission you will see the slave cylinder. on the slave there will be a bleeder valve much like the one you can see on a brake caliper. have a buddy pump the clutch a few times and hold it. crack open the bleeder until the fluid and air stop coming out. then close the bleeder BEFORE your buddy releases the clutch pedal. keep doing this until you get clean, clear fluid coming out. Make sure that you keep the reservoir full. or you will have to do this all over again.

If the above does not cure your problem the the issue is the clutch. Probably why the guy sold the car to you! I would recommend that you replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing and the slave cylinder. I would also recommend buying the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel from the same manufacturer. I have found that it makes for less problems down the road. Shop around for the best deals online and local parts stores.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 PM

Thanks the car has 115xxx on it the guy I bought from said its still the original clutch
Old 01-04-2011, 11:02 PM

that is a decent life span for a clutch, I would say that it is the clutch that is going, you can try to bleed the clutch as i explained, but i do not think that it is going to make a difference at this point. I bought my clutch kit from jegs and it came with everything i needed. all i need to buy was a slave.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the info this weekend I will try to bleed it first then take for a spin but im sure you are right about it being the clutch