Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 AM

Clutch problems

Ok so here's the deal.

The past couple months when idling in nuetral, I hear a slight chatter noise coming from the shifter. When I would press in the clutch pedal, the noise would go away, and come right back if I let off.

Also the past couple weeks, when slipping the clutch out in 1st, the car seemed to "shutter" more than normal and I'd have to rev it a little higher to keep it smooth.

Thursday - I pull into a parking lot to park. The car is in 1st gear and I had the clutch down. As I pull to a stop the car struggles and dies as if I didn't have the clutch pressed in. Clutch pedal had no pressure at all and the car wouldn't go into any gear. So with the car off only, I could get it in 1st, start it while in first (of course car takes off right away) Then I was able to shift my way home without using the clutch...just easing it into gear, althought it was not that easy.

Last night I replaced the slave cylinder. It was shot. Bled the system. Got good pedal pressure now... then I go to start the car while in nuetral. It starts and I get this horrible metal on metal scraping sound from the tranny. So I shut it off for a min then start it again. Well it tries to start but stops. It sound like the flywheel starting to scrape the clutch or something but won't turn over. So now it won't even start at all...even in nuetral. It starts to turn over but it won't. Also the clutch pedal won't go all the way down. It will barely go down far enough for me to start the car.

Last edited by Spiers; 05-06-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 AM

Good chance it is your throwout bearing.Sounds like somebody is going to have to get in there and examine what the culprit is.Personally,if I was pulling the tranny I would go ahead and put in a new clutch set so I dont have to later.

Last edited by lovescamaros25; 05-06-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:58 AM

you're going to have to pull the tranny and probably replace the throw out bearing at the very least.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by maverickmk
you're going to have to pull the tranny and probably replace the throw out bearing at the very least.
x2..
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Well I have a new pp/disc/TO bearing/pilot bushing to go in tomorrow hopefully that takes care of it. I just wonder what is going on inside there.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Spiers
Well I have a new pp/disc/TO bearing/pilot bushing to go in tomorrow hopefully that takes care of it. I just wonder what is going on inside there.
Hope you get it figured out as when I had problems with my clutch recently and had to replace it I found chucks of clutch at the bottom of the bellhousing when I pulled the tranny. I have a centerforce dual fric installed and had the pucs on the PP side fail that hold the disc pads to the clutch disc (See pics below). I had major issues getting her into reverse and also grinding. Make sure when you take it all apart, take the Flywheel off and have it resurfaced and get new flywheel bolts as it's just good insurance.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 PM

Old slave was dead. New slave put pressure on the fork, causing it to scrape and get caught up on the pressure plate. Hopefully the fork is still okay...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Did you ever discover the fix? I have the same symptoms. In my case, I'm guessing the throw out bearing broke and the slave pushed the fork into the pressure plate. I have been hearing a sound that I thought was the input bearing on the tranny because it would go away when I depressed the clutch.