Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 04:34 PM

clutch problems

Last night I was out cruising and got it on with an LS1 SS. We caught three consecutive red lights. THe first one i had traction control on and noticed that my clutch slipped really bad. The second one i had the same thing happen. On the third light i turned the traction control back on and had no problem with my launch. He beat me by about a car length but once i got off the clutch i didn't see any signs of slippage at all.

How i said it is just in first gear that there is heavy slippage. I can't even do a burnout without having my revs jump directly into the 5000 rpm territory. What kind of clutch should i get for a stock LS1?

I've heard good things about the spec stage 3 but i'm afraid that i'll end up blowing my rear end with my aggressive driving style. Is there anyone out there that has had any problems with a set up like this?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:45 PM

Re: clutch problems

I have the McLeod ST and lasted about 250 miles with easy driving before tearing my rear apart. I have heard the Specs are about the same for 'strain' on the rear. If you drive like me and launch alot then your rear probably won't last. I have heard that the Spec 3 is not as good as the 4. The 3 has springs that seem to always break or come loose and cause issues. Probably better to just go with the 4, but then it is a more aggresive clutch and will tear your rear like my ST did. Even though I broke my rear with the ST I wouldn't feel right without reccomending this clutch over any other though. It is by far the most bada$$ clutch there is for our cars. I could tell just from the light driving I was doing that it gripped like a ****. I am sure the Specs are great clustches as well. Do a search to find out a lot more info.