Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch Pedal Dropped to Floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:29 PM

Unhappy Clutch Pedal Dropped to Floor

HELP!

Okay, I got everything together from the clutch job (clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, pilot bearing, resurfaced flywheel) minus the new hydraulic setup which arrives on Wed. The old one wasn't bad, it's just that SLP said I needed the newer unit to support their pressure plate. I figured I could get by with the p;d one until Wed. when the new one arrives. Also, the old pilot bearing was completely screwed, so I'm not 100% sure that I put in the new one correctly. I read that there's a flat side and a beveled side. Mine had a flat side and a side where you could see a circular line. I put the flat side towards the clutch. Other than that, can't think of a thing I could have done wrong. I even put the fork on the TO when the transmission was about 1/2 inch away from the bell housing to make sure I could see it go on. The car started up fine, but when I went to push on the clutch pedal, it easily went about 3/4 to the floor, then got very difficult to push in. When I lifted my foot, it only came back up 3/4 as high as it should have. I pumped it and nothing happened. I figured what the heck and gave a little more pressure. *pop* and the pedal drops to the floor. I screwed the hydraulic system. Fluid dumped out the bolt on the slave unit. At first I thought about what SLP said and figured the old one just wasn't up to snuff, but then I remembered all the free play in the pedal which wouldn't make sense if the old unit simply wasn't strong enough.

-Lucas
Old 01-31-2005, 01:59 PM

Re: Clutch Pedal Dropped to Floor

Well my guess is that you didn't have the clutch fork properly seated on the throw out bearing and that you pushed a bunch of times till stuff got all bound up and went POP! Now don't ask me how I know this, just know that I replaced my slave cyl, then very carefully installed the clutch fork, and have had no problems since.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:04 AM

Looks like you're right and some time after when I put the fork on the TO bearing while putting the tranny on the bellhousing, it came off and I didn't notice when putting the actuator (slave) back on.

Now I'm having a hell of a time replacing it. Below the master cylinder is a huge bundle of cables blocking the way. I discovered this after using quite a bit of force getting the old master out. I'm hoping I didn't damage any of the cables. Getting the new part in, I've gotten the master as close as possible, but it looks like I'll have to remove the brake booster to get it in place. This has been the most frustrating part of the whole clutch job and I wish I just took out the brake booster to clear the way before I removed the old one.

-Lucas
Old 02-01-2005, 12:48 PM

I just replaced the slave, saving myself the agravation of getting waaaaay up in there at the master. No problems.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:29 PM

I had to replace the master to support the SLP pressure plate. I managed to get to the master by moving the brake booster out of the way. It was well worth the effort. Everything is back together and shifting like a dream. I'm going easy on it for 500 miles to break-in the new clutch.

-Lucas
Old 02-02-2005, 04:19 PM

Good work! Enjoy!