Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

This clutch is great ...... WHAPwhapwhapwhap.....WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:35 AM

Angry This clutch is great ...... WHAPwhapwhapwhap.....WTF!!!

So.....I just get my SS back from my mechanic about 2 weeks ago after he installed my new McLeod street twin clutch with the steel flywheel. I had put about 250 breakin miles on it and everything was great. No clutch chatter, great pedal feel (just a little stiffer), and outstanding grip. So I decide to drive it up north to see my dad and a couple of cousins who were going to be up there and let them test the SS out. Dad is the 1st one in the drivers seat and he takes it down the road with me in the passenger seat. I give him the warning that I still have another 250 miles left to breakin the clutch so he agrees to take it easy. We go about 1 mile down the road and no issues -- turn around and head home -- 1st gear ok -- as he shifts into 2nd gear and before he lets the clutch fully out we hear the ugliest noise ever --- WHAP whapwhapwhapwhapwhap. I look over at him and we both have the WTF look on our faces. So we pull over and I check and there is about a 1/4" thick stream of lube flowing out of my rear on the pinion seal side. So we tow the car the other 1/2 mile home behind the truck and you can hear the rear howling badly and within maybe 15 minutes I was out of lube. I have to call my mechanic in the morning and get the SS in to see what all is wrong with the rear. So I already know that I will be going to 4.10s and if it punctured a hole in the rear and it isn't just the seal leaking then I already have an answer to my next question since I will have to order a new rear anyway. The question is can I beef the 10 bolt up strong enough with new parts such as: ring, pinion, spiders, posi, TA girdle and so on. Or should I just order the complete assemblies of 12 bolts. I have seen the Strange 12 bolt on Tbyrne for $2389.00 and the Moser 12 bolt on Thunder Racing for $2020.00. I know the 12 bolt will be stronger, but it will be about $2500.00 installed and I can get the parts and have them installed in the 10 bolt for about $1000.00. I guess money isn't the biggest concern. I will order the 12 bolt if it is worth it. I just need to know how strong the beefed up 10 bolt would be compared to the 12 bolt. Any help would be appreciated. Yet another victim of the weakest drivetrain point.....slightly aided by a street twin!!! On the flip side ..... 4.10s!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:15 AM

Welcome to the club
I would not even consider buying parts for $1000 for a 10 bolt. You can go $$$ with the 10 bolt, and still breaking things. It's only a matter of when...
You can't do much about it, better order a 12 bolt now, as the production/shipping is awful..
Old 06-01-2004, 06:40 AM

Order a 9 inch. The one thing Ford actually got right.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:21 PM

i love my moser 12 bolt!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:06 PM

I just saw in another thread that if you go to the 12 bolt you may need a different length drive shaft. Is this true? The sites selling these rears both say thay are a direct swap and need no mods to work. Right now I plan on ordering the Moser or Strange 12 bolt with 4.10s. I don't want to get it and find out that I still need a few things to make it work. Is there anything else that I should be considering before I order?