Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Brake problem, I think... (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 10:07 AM

Brake problem, I think... (Long)

Hey everyone my car is doing something really strange...

When I make a left turn with speed over 10 MPH and I am not on the brakes the Caliper grinds/cuts into on the Rotor...

It started last week and I changed the brakes this past weekend hoping it was just due to low pads, but the pads were still good and had more then half the pad left. I went ahead and changed everything anyway...

Well that didn't help at all.

So now that it is doing it more and more, I have been able to find a few things out:
It doesn't do it when I am on the brakes.
It only does it to the drivers side rotor when making a left turn at about 10 MPH and up, the faster I go around the corner the more it cuts into the rotor.
It is the caliper itself that is contacting the rotor, and I can not reproduce it on jack stands.

What could be wrong?
A buddy told me that it is possible that I wore down my C-clip or maybe broke it, and when I am making the left it is pulling the axle out a little and only being held in by the brakes, and the flexing of the brake mount due to all the pressure of the axle trying to come out making the caliper actually contact the rotor.
How posible is this?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:28 AM

Re: Brake problem, I think... (Long)

Wheel Bearing? I suppose the c-clip is a possibility, and if that's it, you might want to fix that right away...if it breaks, that could be a MAJOR expense...
Old 08-23-2005, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28
Wheel Bearing? I suppose the c-clip is a possibility, and if that's it, you might want to fix that right away...if it breaks, that could be a MAJOR expense...
I thought about that but I didn't see any "Wobble" when I had it running at speed on the jackstands, and there was no fluid leaking out the tubes...

My buddy wanted me to pop the brakes off and pull on the axle to see if it moved out, but I am too chicken $hit for that... Just in case it did come out I would need to rent a car while attempting to get it fixed, but then again it would cost more then that if it decides to come out on it's own...

I guess I need to bite the bullet and pull the brakes and take a tug on the axle to at least rule that out as a possiblity... But I am scared what that might mean, I spent a decent amount of money on gears and install stuff and was going to get gears done soon. I guess if it is broke I can just replace the C-clip then, but what is the rear is too bad now, that means I wasted money on gears and crap...
Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 AM

Nah, it wont hurt the rear. I've had mine apart so many times. It's easy. If the axle clip is worn, just pop the cover off the rear and change it... no big deal. You will have to take 2 of the 4 spider gears out to do it but it isn't a real big deal.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:52 PM

OK, I took a look at it a little last night and found that with the caliper off and I pull out on the axle it does move out a good deal more then it is suposed to, and that is causing the caliper to cut into the rotor. It only moved out a few hundreths further then it should, so that makes me thing either the C-clip is worn down a little or the pocket it sits in is...

I guess I will find that out in a few weeks when I do the gears, going to 3.73's...

To stop it from cutting in now, I made a few shims and put the between the brake mounting tabs and the caliper to space it out a few hundreths (about the thickness of 8 - 9 sheets of paper), and that was enough to clear the caliper when I pulled out on the axle. It's a Ghetto fix, but it will work untill I have a chance to do the gears...