Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Bearing/gears/posi???!?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 01:09 AM

Bearing/gears/posi???!?!??!

Hey all... for about 3 weeks my car has been making this whine noise only when i let off the gas... today I was checking my tires, and the passenger side tire is much more worn than the driver's side tire... could it be that i lack differential fluid? or is it the bearing or posi thats gone?

or better yet... could it be that the lack of fluid caused the bearing within the differential housing to go out... and is also causing the lack of tire spin due to lack of fluid? thanks
Old 05-29-2004, 12:09 AM

anyone?
Old 05-29-2004, 08:40 AM

How many miles are on your car, and is it the stock rear? Once you start single tracking no additional fluid will help. Low fluid will speed up wear in you bearings and clutches. Sounds like you need a new limited slip. Hard to give diagnostic advice without seeing the car. Have a buddy watch you as you spin your wheels, or examine the patches you leave. If you leave one stripe, or a darker right stripe, its time for a new limited slip.

The right rear will be the one the spin because as you accelerate the right rear wants to lift up and unload the tire, which is why you have more wear on the right when a rear goes bad. Check your fluid level, and then drain it by taking off the cover. If you see a lot silver in your fluid then its time for a new limited slip. If thats the case then look at the Pro Auburn series or the Eaton. Do yourself a favor and replace the gears and all bearings, including the axle bearings while you're there. Hope this helps...
--Alan