Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

auto tranny pull

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 08:46 PM

auto tranny pull

I'm getting ready to pull my tranny to ship to Frank@CPT for a rebuild. All I've really done is drain it and take the TC shield off. Now I've removed many a tranny but on the older cars. In fact on my 66, I could just pick it up and walk around with it pretty easily.(It's only a powerglide) Have yet to pull anything on these cramped LT1's. I have a couple of ?'s if somebody who has removed one could answer.

-I know people have said the bell housing bolts are excessible withouth moving the engine. Is it better to reach from the bottom or top?
-In my Haynes it says to remove the center console trim panel. I cannot figure for the life of me why this would be neccesary. Does this give access to the wiring harness that attatches to the tranny?

I think that is it unless some experienced people can offer up a trick or 2.
Thank you
Old 07-04-2005, 09:04 PM

Re: auto tranny pull

I used a long extension and a universal joint socket to remove the trans to engine bolts from the bottom. I had to lower the rear of the engine some to get to the top ones. My car had the oil pressure sensor on the filter boss but I think some have it on the top rear of the engine. If yours is there be careful not to break it on the firewall if you lower the engine.

All the wiring to the trans is under the car. I already had my console out but I don't see why you would need to.

The trans is heavy. I used a floor jack and a piece of 2x6 under the pan to get it out.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:10 AM

Re: auto tranny pull

Yes you will need to remove the oil pressure sending unit, I had to replace mine after it got snapped off when I let the engine tilt back to get to those top bolts.
Its definately a 2 man job, get someone to help you.
You have to get the car up in the air pretty good to get it out. Keep in mind the 4L60E is 28 pounds heavier than a TH400. I can carry a 4L60E by myself but I am 250 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal.
Unhook your transmission fluid lines from the radiator so they can drop with the tranny a bit, it makes it easier to get to those lines.