Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

adusting pinion angle, t-56 and Dana S60

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Exclamation adusting pinion angle, t-56 and Dana S60

Yes, actually I have searched. Only vague things have been said, but my question is where do you measure the angles??

While I had my Y pipe off, I put the magnetic angle finder on the bearing cap holder on the yoke (the part that goes into the tranny), and found that on the one side it reads that the tail of the tranny is 4 degrees below perfectly horizontal. So, if you look at the car from the drivers side, the front of the car on your left and the rear of the car on your right, the tranny slants \ <in that direction. But, the other side reads 5 degrees.

I then found the flat spot at the end of the tailshaft on the bottom that appears to be parallel to the mainshaft. That reads 4 degrees.

The yoke can be moved up and down in the tranny just enough to change the reading of the angle finder by a degree, or a degree and a half.

Where is the best place to put the angle finder to measure the angle of the tranny?

Moving on to the dana 60 rear from strange engineering, I measured at the bearing cap on the top and bottom, and got it adjusted to 4 degrees in the same direction when you look at it from the drivers side of the car again.

But when I measure the angle on the torque arm mounting surface (I have a spohn adjustable torque arm) it reads 3 degrees, and looks to be parallel to the pinion shaft.

The bearing cap has a ridge on it, and the yoke coming out of the rear has a tang that overhangs onto the bearing cap so it cant slide out, so the angle finder doesn't go over the whole cap... so I am not positive I am getting the right angle.

Where is the best place to put the angle finder on the rear end??

Once I get a good spot to put the angle finder, I plan on putting the nose of the rear down 1 degree compared to the tranny, because all I ever do is spirited driving right now. Eventually, I will go to the track and when I do then I will put it down another degree.

I know this is long and wordy, but I wanted to attempt to describe everything so that people with the same setup know exactly what I am describing. Or there abouts. hahaha

Thanks!!!
Cody
Old 04-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Both angles should be measured on the yokes (Transmission and Axle). Do not measure it on the TA mounting surface.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Both angles should be measured on the yokes (Transmission and Axle). Do not measure it on the TA mounting surface.
by yoke do you mean bearing caps of the yoke? cuz the yokes dont stick out nearly enough to get my angle finder on them...
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Alright, well I was going to start my own thread but since this is basically the same thing and I'm having the same problem with a T56 and S60 I figured I'd throw this up here. (I'll make my own if the OP thinks I should).

I measured my transmission angle from the harmonic balancer (looking from the passenger side)
Name:  IMG_0859.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  52.3 KB

I measured my pinion angle from where the U-bolts hook up (again looking from the passenger side)
Name:  IMG_0860.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  43.3 KB

If my transmission is at a -5.4* and my pinion from the same side is a -3.4* do these give me a total difference of -2*?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:31 PM

Its ok you can post here. We might as well get one super thread on adjusting the pinion of the S60 and T56.

What the F I never thought to measure it like that... Does it work?

Your logic is correct, you would have a -2 degrees difference. I am shooting to have mine at -.5 or -1 max, as it is a daily driver. We will see how much deflection I actually get with all the suspension mods when I hit her hard.

Have you driven your car with the angles set up using this method? Any vibes?? Im very curious here!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:21 PM

I haven't put it back together yet, I'll take her out later tonight if it stops raining and report back. I also called a local place about balancing a driveshaft if this doesn't work.\

EDIT: You can measure from the harmonic balancer because it should be a straight shot from there all the way back to your transmission output shaft.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by z28 justin
I haven't put it back together yet, I'll take her out later tonight if it stops raining and report back. I also called a local place about balancing a driveshaft if this doesn't work.\

EDIT: You can measure from the harmonic balancer because it should be a straight shot from there all the way back to your transmission output shaft.
Cant wait to hear how it worked! I already had my driveshaft balanced for low speeds and high speeds. I know that isn't my problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Well, it seems to have taken away about 65% of the vibration. It's still pretty loud though. I've never been in another car that had the tunnel mounted brace or with an S60, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to really feel like. Looks like I'll be taking my driveshaft in just to make sure that's not the problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM

Well, it seems to have taken away about 65% of the vibration. It's still pretty loud though. I've never been in another car that had the tunnel mounted brace or with an S60, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to really feel like. Looks like I'll be taking my driveshaft in just to make sure that's not the problem.
hmm, that is no good! I hear ya about not knowing what to expect. With my new street twin clutch I dont know if the rubbing sound I hear at low rpms is normal or not. Ugh. haha.

With my spohn torque arm I personally only noticed minimal noise increase, as I got the poly front mount, and also put a piece of rubber between the brace and the car. But, Im always driving around with the t-tops off and the exhuast valve open anyways, so it doesn't matter.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Got my driveshaft balanced at a Fleet Pride in town and took the car back out today. The vibration is 99% gone now. What's left is more noise than vibration probably from the tubbel mounted torque arm. Either way I can actually get it above 80 now without it feeling like it's going to shake loose.

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
With my spohn torque arm I personally only noticed minimal noise increase, as I got the poly front mount, and also put a piece of rubber between the brace and the car.
I have the front poly mount as well, where did you get a piece of rubber to fit between the brace and the car? Also, does it effect how long the bolts need to be?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:43 PM

Got my driveshaft balanced at a Fleet Pride in town and took the car back out today. The vibration is 99% gone now. What's left is more noise than vibration probably from the tubbel mounted torque arm. Either way I can actually get it above 80 now without it feeling like it's going to shake loose.

I have the front poly mount as well, where did you get a piece of rubber to fit between the brace and the car? Also, does it effect how long the bolts need to be?
I made it. The bolts did have to be longer, because I have the SLP triangulated sub frame connectors that also have to bolt there. Make sense? The rubber is very thin, maybe 1/16th of an inch once tightened down?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdStud
I made it. The bolts did have to be longer, because I have the SLP triangulated sub frame connectors that also have to bolt there. Make sense? The rubber is very thin, maybe 1/16th of an inch once tightened down?
I also have a set of the 3-point sub frames. Where did you get the rubber to make it?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:08 AM

I also have a set of the 3-point sub frames. Where did you get the rubber to make it?

Go to a tire center and ask for an old blown out inner tube from the trash.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
Go to a tire center and ask for an old blown out inner tube from the trash.
yup, that works too, but the rubber I used was actually 1/8" thick, I was wrong. I actually had some in the garage. I just cut it in two, and make it like a gasket, like cutting it to shape and making the holes for the bolts. I just had my g brace off this weekend with the clutch install, and the rubber still looks great! Been there for 4 years. I reused it.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 PM

im gonna try this rubber trick, ive have a little more vibration with the tunnel mount and prothane trans mount since added, i especially get a vibration at 55-57 than it disapears before and after wierd.... The pinion angle is correct

Quick Reply: adusting pinion angle, t-56 and Dana S60